Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Trax. Tonight my wife came home and I could smell coolant. I cleaned everything up and drove it a while. The coolant is coming out of the expansion tank overflow next to the cap.. The level is just down the amount that came out, it is not full like a bad head gasket would do on my Honda's.
It doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere else although I will look at it in the morning. I'm going to start with the easy stuff and replace the cap tomorrow.
Car is running normally, no warning lights on.
Anyone else experience this?

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
The expansion tank is known to fail where the top hose connects, sometimes at the bottom also. You have to remember that the top hose oscillates with every bump and eventually from flexing the white plastic spigot it cracks. You may need to change the expansion tank. That hose should have a hanger but there is nowhere to install a hanger.

Reactions: c502cid

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The expansion tank is known to fail where the top hose connects, sometimes at the bottom also. You have to remember that the top hose oscillates with every bump and eventually from flexing the white plastic spigot it cracks. You may need to change the expansion tank. That hose should have a hanger but there is nowhere to install a hanger.
It was replaced early on in its life but good call. I'll check.

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
Just a bad design to have the spigot come out horizontally. Should have been pointing downwards.

Reactions: c502cid

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Traxy for the win. Dorman makes a replacement tank with cap for about $50 usd, already installed and done. Thanks Traxy!

Reactions: Traxy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts