Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have experience working in vehicles as a hobby but this one has me stumped. My girlfriends trax wouldn’t start two days ago, was just clicking. I figured a dead battery so I checked it and it was showing 12.6v We went ahead and boosted it off and it ran fine afterwards. Showed charging around 16v with it running.

She went and ran her errands and got back home I checked it again. Was down to 15.5v and without the car running around 13.6v.

Let it sit overnight and again it was dead. This time the battery voltage was 12.8v and just clicking. I let it sit for a minute and it built the voltage up to 13.2v where it very sluggishly turned over and fired up.

Off we went to get a battery. With the new battery it’s charging at 15.5v and after letting it sit overnight the battery is at 14.2v.

From my past experience I have never seen a car not start with a battery over 12v. All the high voltages lead me to believe the alternator may be going bad, but that doesn’t explain why it wouldn’t crank with less than 13.2v. The battery indicator also hasn’t came on at all so I’m doubtful the alternator has much to do with it.

Does this car just need different voltages than what I’m use to? Does any of this seem normal for you fellow trax owners?

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
Was there corrosion on the battery post? Check the starter ground for corrosion. Old battery could have a bad cell under load. The Trax never came with good battery even though mine is approaching 7 years. I just changed the one in my wife's 2018 TLX this morning. Battery test good and full but wouldn't start the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was there corrosion on the battery post? Check the starter ground for corrosion. Old battery could have a bad cell under load. The Trax never came with good battery even though mine is approaching 7 years. I just changed the one in my wife's 2018 TLX this morning. Battery test good and full but wouldn't start the car.
no corrosion to my surprise, looked clean as could be. I figure the old battery had a bad cell and maybe was dropping voltage when the starter engaged. But foolish me didn’t think to check the battery when it was trying to crank.

That aside I’m just more concerned with the higher voltageafter sitting for a while. I’ve never seen a battery build up/ retain 13v before. Then again this is also the newest vehicle I’ve ever worked with (2018)

It’s working fine now and I presume it will continue to do so, but I’vejust never seen them like thisbefore and wanted To make sure it was “normal” I couldn’t find any info online other than what supported what I already knew, nothing specific to the trax 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
The way I test a battery is by turning low and high beams on for 30 seconds If it drops below 12 it's no good. Wife's battery this morning tested with the battery checker as good full charge but after 30 second under load was only 11.3 volts. So out the door it went.

Reactions: EssGee
1 - 5 of 5 Posts