Chevy Trax Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, you can get and have cruise control. There are aftermarket kits but it would be best to install OEM parts. The dealership needs to do this because programming is needed. A replacement steering wheel is needed, then beyond that, everything else needed should already be there.

this is the answer I rreceived back from justask.com
So my trax doesn't have factory cruise. So a new steering wheel is all that's needed? Besides programming of course? I can buy a new steering wheel and the rest of the stuff is already there?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
So my trax doesn't have factory cruise. So a new steering wheel is all that's needed? Besides programming of course? I can buy a new steering wheel and the rest of the stuff is already there?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
That’s what I gathered from this thread too, but I don’t know if that applies to newer model trax’s. It sounds like GM made it so that we can’t do that anymore.... I called my Chevy dealership yesterday where I bought my trax to inquire about factory cruise control, and the guy checked and said that there was nothing they could do to install factory cruise control, and that my only option is the rostra Cruise control option. It doesn’t really make sense to me.... you’d think they would want us to spend more money on installing factory cruise, if it were as easy as just installing a new steering wheel.... instead of buying the rostra CC. I’m really bummed. I guess the rostra it is... it’s better than no cruise control, and at least we know 100% that it doesn’t void any warranties.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It is NOT just a matter of replacing the steering wheel and some programing.
The cruise buttons and the wire harness in your current steering wheel need to be replaced.
Then you need to add the aftermarket cruise control unit that plugs into the wire harness that goes to the gas peddle, you have to run new wires up to the steering wheel as the cruise wires are not even installed in the car. then there is a connection to the OBDII port where the cruise will read the vehicle speed and finally a power wire to switched power and a ground wire. There is a BUNCH of programing that has to be done to the cruise module to make it recognize the factory cruise switch in the wheel.

Flyboy used to sell a kit that was nearly plug and play, with all of the programing already done. He is no longer interested in doing this. When I traded my 2015 for the 2018 that I have now I bought the version with cruise.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts