Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had to adjust the pressure in my tires to account for the lower temperatures of the season. The sidewall of my tires says max pressure is 44 lbs, but the info on the door well says 35 lbs cold pressure. I inflated your the 35 lbs, but wonder why there’s such a difference? I’ve had techs at tire shops tell me to follow the manufacturer instructions, and have also had well meaning friends inflate to the 44 lbs for me (I had them reduce it back to 35 lbs).

·
Super Moderator
2,318 Posts
You lose 1 PSI every 10°C so pressurize accordingly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently had to adjust the pressure in my tires to account for the lower temperatures of the season. The sidewall of my tires says max pressure is 44 lbs, but the info on the door well says 35 lbs cold pressure. I inflated your the 35 lbs, but wonder why there’s such a difference? I’ve had techs at tire shops tell me to follow the manufacturer instructions, and have also had well meaning friends inflate to the 44 lbs for me (I had them reduce it back to 35 lbs).
44 psi Max pressure is if you had the maximum weight allowed on the tire... let's say it's rated for 2500 lb at 44 psi , but they probably have more like 1,000 lb on each tire. 44 psi would be way too much for normal use.
They only put that number on the tire, because lets say you had a pickup truck, with a heavy load in the bed. then you would go up to the maximum pressure allowed because you're near the maximum weight allowed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
44 psi Max pressure is if you had the maximum weight allowed on the tire... let's say it's rated for 2500 lb at 44 psi , but they probably have more like 1,000 lb on each tire. 44 psi would be way too much for normal use.
They only put that number on the tire, because lets say you had a pickup truck, with a heavy load in the bed. then you would go up to the maximum pressure allowed because you're near the maximum weight allowed.
Thanks for the answer. I go with what’s printed for the vehicle, just didn’t know why it’s always different on the tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts