Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a Trax and was told by an attendant at an oil change place that only the dealer can change in the oil in a Trax because of some special nozzle that only they have. Is that true? I have a 2018 Trax but only have 1900 miles on it so I've not encountered this issue. But, when the time comes I'd like to run to a Jiffy Lube rather than my GM dealership for the oil change.

·
Super Moderator
2,163 Posts
Not really true, it's just that the oil filler neck has a rubber flap that blocks oil from getting in if you're not aware. Happened to me the first time I went to change the oil. Now that I know I just remove the whole filler neck and this makes it easier to refill. But no, no special funnel, you just have to make sure you open the rubber flap with the funnel spout before you start pouring 4.3 liters of expensive synthetic oil onto the floor and all over your engine.

PS: I would never, ever, ever trust Jiffy lube to do and oil change on my beautiful Trax. I have too much respect for my machines and very little for Jiffy lube or Midas for that matter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've used a local shop for mine. A reputable shop that is. I agree, I wouldn't let a jiffy lube do mine

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I also would stay away from the Jiffy Lube and similar places for several reasons.

One huge potential problem is the potential for the wrong oil filter being used. The oil filter housing can accept two types of oil fllters - the right one and one that may cause serious lubrication problems if used. The user cannot tell what filter is correct based on information in the owner's manual. I first got the right info from the service department manager at my dealer and then in the $400 service manual set that I bought.

There is a special tool that is required to get at the oil filter to replace it. Some folks might resort to using the wrong tool and that could damage the oil filter housing cover. The Trax does not use a conventional spin-on oil filter.

I have, for many years, always done preventive maintenance like oil/filter changes on my own cars myself. I would do this on our new Trax as well but Parkinson's Disease now keeps me off the creeper (because I cannot get back off of it by myself). I do have the special wrench and a few other things for the Trax, however, because I might just employ one of my kids (I'm almost 72) do actually do the work.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
A friend of mine has a Trax and was told by an attendant at an oil change place that only the dealer can change in the oil in a Trax because of some special nozzle that only they have. Is that true? I have a 2018 Trax but only have 1900 miles on it so I've not encountered this issue. But, when the time comes I'd like to run to a Jiffy Lube rather than my GM dealership for the oil change.
We got two "free" oil/filter changes combined with a few other preventive maintenance items at no charge from our dealer when we bought our 2018 Trax LT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find changing the oil on my 2020 Chevrolet Trax on the garage floor a rather easy task. No special tools required. The 10 mm oil drain plug is of poor design and can be easily stripped if one is not careful. I replaced mine with a normal head size drain plug with a magnet in it to attract any metal particles in the oil. It disturbs me that businesses lie to people because they realize the person lacks basic mechanical knowledge. Stay away from them!

·
Super Moderator
2,163 Posts
The main reason for the 10mm head on the drain plug is so you don't over torque and strip the treads in the aluminium pan. Cheaper and easier to replace a drain plug. So be careful with the bigger head, aluminium is soft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts