Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a postcard from the dealership where I purchased my 2016 wanting me to sell it back to them. I have not replied but I thought this was unusual but the Trax' are popular and not many are seen on the lots used or new I've noticed. Mine is just now broken in @ 32,000 miles. I wouldn't sell it back any ways. I couldn't replace it for what I have in it. I like my little car and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. here where I live I know of 3 or 4 Trax that are the same color as mine and several Encore too. Has anyone else had offers to buy back yours ? OR Would you trade it for something else?

·
Registered
36 Posts
This seems to be quite a common strategy for getting people into newer cars. We have a 2012 Sonic and a 2015 Trax, and have received correspondence from several dealers offering to buy them back.

Obviously, this type of offer would appeal to those who, for whatever reason, always want to be driving the latest models. For me, it doesn’t make a lot of sense. If I already have two reliable and nicely equipped vehicles, why would I be in any particular hurry to trade them in on newer ones?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This seems to be quite a common strategy for getting people into newer cars. We have a 2012 Sonic and a 2015 Trax, and have received correspondence from several dealers offering to buy them back.

Obviously, this type of offer would appeal to those who, for whatever reason, always want to be driving the latest models. For me, it doesn’t make a lot of sense. If I already have two reliable and nicely equipped vehicles, why would I be in any particular hurry to trade them in on newer ones?

Hmm, I didn't think of it that way. Makes sense for a marketing strategy. I have mine set up the way I want it and I plan on driving it for many many miles as long as it gets me from A to B. I have had other new off the lot rides but this ' we want your car ' was a 1st for me.

Thanks, I love hearing others point of view.

·
Super Moderator
1,922 Posts
They don't want your Trax back, they want to sit you in a new vehicle, give you less than what your Trax is worth and resell it for a profit while making profit on the new one they sell you. I get these letters all the time except for my wife's G6, they never wanted that piece of junk back. I've had 2 letters for my Encore, with OnStar they know it's a low kilometer vehicle. Problem is they have no better vehicle for me to bite on.

Reactions: ChevyTraxLS+

·
Super Moderator
1,922 Posts
You are not allowed to spam a website on this forum.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I get those letters all the time. I don't know if the dealer is able to access the odometer via onstar or not, they just want you to buy a new car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was a first for me. I do think they have access to mileage as they seem to know exactly when my mileage is up for oil service. Not purchasing a new car if nothing is wrong with this one. It's just now broke in at 30,000 miles. Getting her ready for Yellowstone soon in June. Road trip time.

·
Super Moderator
1,922 Posts
Yeah mine is approaching that, now at 48500Kms . So far one of the best GMs I've ever purchased. Worse would have to be that 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLR, beautiful car but nothing but trouble from day one (5 transmissions before it caught fire ). I still get recall letters saying it may catch fire, it caught fire in 2003 with 7 payments still owed when I had to junk it. This Trax just starts and goes...on very little fuel.

Reactions: ChevyTraxLS+

·
Registered
3 Posts
You cab safely assume that whatever they offer it is to their advantage-never yours. I was in the heavy truck industry for 30 years and have bought and sold 18 wheelers etc. I always showed my customers what their vehicle was truly worth whether it was what they wanted to hear or not- reality is reality.

What many car dealers do is win on both ends. For instance, let's say your Trax is worth wholesale-remember that is the most they will truly pay you is $12,000-wholesale in the blue book- they of course find every little nick to downgrade it to average condition.

They have a new vehicle on the lot for say 35,000 list price- which is is BS price used by manufacturers. They may have real dollars say $31,000- that is an example of what the invoice from GM is. So, they have $4000.00 in possible profit available but really more.

So to keep it simple, you walk in- they say they really need clean late model Trax for inventory. They offer you $14,000 on paper- that leaves $2000.00 profit left and they say they have offered you a great deal- you buy vehicle at list price- they make $2000.00

But wait- they have your trade on their books at $12,000- they used $2000.00 in profit on new vehicle to offer you $14,000.

They sell your used Trax for $14,900- all detailed etc. Now, they made $2900.00 on your trade plus the $2000.00 on the new vehicle so now they made $4900.00 off you but wait- if you finance- they mark up interest-called their buy rate-and then make more profit every month on the extra interest or they get a big lump up front from lender- more profit- but wait- the buyer of your used Trax trades their vehicle- more profit as shown above- then mark up their interest- more profit- sounds like they make quite alot of profit just form trading yours and selling you a new one. List price means nothing- oh, then they get a percentage from GM called dealer holdback- could be hundreds of dollars and other spiffs from GM and they may have made 6-7 thousand dollars by doing you a big favor by sending out a cheap post card now your payments are higher- insurance goes up on newer vehicle- what a bunch of swell guys they are helping you out- be careful when you buy- learn from KBB.com what your trade is really worth- let your own bank offer you their financing etc. Good Luck- I will not part with our Black LTZ either- we love it- it does have one issue- a strong smell of gas inside the car dealer is trying to diagnose- many others have same issue.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes I got those letters, post cards and phone calls too. LOTS of them. They know from the service records of oil changes etc that it is really low mileage, and they know that our lease is about up.
She who is actually paying for the car wanted a different color and some nicer options, so Saturday we we are trading in the 2015 LS and get to go pick up our new 2018 LT AWD Trax.

The dealer will make a killing with a 2015 Trax that has ONLY 3.500 miles.

Yea I know, I wanted to buy out the lease for 12K and then could sell it quick for close to 15-16K or more If not wanting a quick turnaround, and have more down payment for the new one. BUT I am not the one writing the checks.

·
Super Moderator
1,922 Posts
Too bad. If you had a good one you should have kept it. You must mean 35,000 miles.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I get letters from local dealers about cars I sold years ago, they are fishing to see if they can relieve your wallet of more money.

If you do go to see one of these dealers, what you will get is insulted they will offer you a figure for your car that is so low it should be a crime.

It would be robbery if you take what they offer you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts