Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I own a 2017 trax LT and I've actually gotten into an accident due to this issue at a full stop I will push on the gas pedal to move forward, no revving or movement so I push a little more, suddenly I'm at 4000rpm almost burning rubber.

It doesn't happen all the time but my dealership is insisting nothing is wrong. I'm actually scared to drive it anymore ?.

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
Take the service manager out and show him or maybe go see an other dealer. Car should leave when you press the pedal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the service manager out and show him or maybe go see an other dealer. Car should leave when you press the pedal.
I took it to the shop they've run a diagnostic test and did a test drive. I guess it didn't happen when they drove it but it does it. They refuse to admit this is a problem, I've been seeing highway acceleration issues. It's as if the engine is hesitating or throttle isn't working properly. I've contacted GM and I have to call em back monday. I'm worried they will try to tell me it's fine.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I took it to the shop they've run a diagnostic test and did a test drive. I guess it didn't happen when they drove it but it does it. They refuse to admit this is a problem, I've been seeing highway acceleration issues. It's as if the engine is hesitating or throttle isn't working properly. I've contacted GM and I have to call em back monday. I'm worried they will try to tell me it's fine.
Convince the service writer or the service manager that you need to go with their people on a test drive. It's possible that part of the problem may be something related to precisely how you drive the car. If they can witness the problem with you driving then they can take things further.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The accelerator in Trax is actually an electronic module that gives commands to the ECU and the ECU commands the electrically operated throttle. The shop has to check the accelerator pedal module and the throttle.
And also can be a problem with automatic transmission. I've seen similar messages on Opel Mokka forums, Opel Mokka being the twin brother of the Trax, the automatic transmission is the same(some are made in China).
The same prblem - sudden acceleration or to much acceleration when automatic is changing fom 1-st to the second gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are also having gas pedal issues with a 2017 Chevy Trax we bought new that we have had less than a year. Initially the problem we had was it would shudder when accelerating at a light or stop sign. Or there may be almost no power when taking off. Then it started periodically stalling. It has just recently started randomly accelerating. This has happened twice. We have had it in to Chevy service four times. They keep telling us they find nothing wrong and if there is nothing showing up with the computer diagnostics, then "the car is operating as designed." Even opening a case with Customer Care has not provided us with a resolution. So frustrating!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too have had this issue with my 2016. This occurred on a trip out West and put me in danger several times. At times at a full stop, upon trying to accelerate into or through a intersection the Trax would just set there with little to no response or slowly moving into traffic and then going but nowhere near the expected acceleration. Even on the highway on a grade that was not excessive the car would start slowing well below traffic speed until it would drop 2 or 3 gears and still have no real power. I did take it to a dealership, they couldn't find anything, they asked if any dash lites indicated anything, run a computer diagnosis. And of course I / we could not repeat it and it hasn't done it again. They run some gas and fuel system cleaner through it but could or had no answer for the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found, as a "proud" owner of a 2017 Chevy Trax that is does come to accelerate slowly, sometimes incredibly slowly. Do yourself a favor and try it with no A/C and no Fan. Car accelerates as intended, but if one of these are on, let alone at the full power (4 I believe), the car chugs/stalls before taking off at a much slower rate.

The accelerator in Trax is actually an electronic module that gives commands to the ECU and the ECU commands the electrically operated throttle. The shop has to check the accelerator pedal module and the throttle.
And also can be a problem with automatic transmission. I've seen similar messages on Opel Mokka forums, Opel Mokka being the twin brother of the Trax, the automatic transmission is the same(some are made in China).
The same prblem - sudden acceleration or to much acceleration when automatic is changing fom 1-st to the second gear.
If this guy is right and it is electric then the Trax at idle must not be producing enough power to supply the both at full power. Once the car is moving having the air on is not a problem, but I find myself shutting down the air every time I stop on a major road/highway so I can take off instead of stalling.

I've tried everything to see what this issue is, but having the fan on seems to be the most noticeable...

I would be curious to see if anyone else is having this issue as well...

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
This should not happen, there's a sensor that detects low voltage and it is suppose to automatically shut down A/C upon acceleration. As far as fan on high speed that is also not normal, at least mine doesn't do that. Maybe you guys just have a weak battery. Even new batteries can be bad.

Reactions: ChevyTraxLS+

·
Registered
206 Posts
I tried this on my '18. and could not replicate. I timed acceleration with everything electric turned off that I can turn off. And again with everything turned on that I can turn on. As expected there was a very slight difference with everything on being a tiny bit slower. I would expect this since it does take some of the engines HP to run the AC compressor and the alternator leaving that little bit less power available for the wheels. But the difference is very slight on the watch and is just barely noticeable by my butt dyno. But it is a noticeable difference. Not enough to warrant the effort of turning things off at a stop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Trax that has nothing but issues. The latest is the acceleration issue as you described. They talked the manufacturer and changed the waste control valve. I was also getting a strong sulphur smell at various times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Trax was doing the opposite! The dang thing would miss shift constantly. Instead of down shifting it would up shift to 5th and die! The dealership was no help. I ultimately replaced the battery after, on a whim, checked the charging system and the battery myself with my volt meter. The battery was charging at around 15.3 - 15.6 volts. Not a bad battery.... yet. New battery charges at a happy 14.7 volt and my Trax hasn't had an issue since. The car never acted outwardly in an obvious manner to suggest the battery was bad. It even passed the dealership's physical load test but I worked for a battery store and to save time, if a battery charged over 15.3v in the car we just replaced it because it was just a matter of time before it failed. Caused a bunch of communication issues for the computer during the battery's slow death.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this same problem with my 2015 Trax. I think it's the design to help maintain the great gas mileage these vehicles can get. I have found an engine turner where you might be able to tune this issue out but your gas mileage will suffer.

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
You may want to check your charge pipe. GM sets parameters where no check engine light will be set. I have major boost leak but still within parameters so no codes. I know my boost system is leaking. Trying to put the finger on where.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Chevy LT Trax, 4 cylinder. Bought it from Chevy dealer with a little more than 30k Mike on it. It appeared to have acceleration problems from the beginning. After 40k Mike's it started hesitating every now and then, and stalled on my wife once. Took it to dealer they said everything was fine. Seemed to be a little better with new oil, but hesitating returned. Took it to dealer total of six times, still had the same problem. At 60k completely lost power, engine light on, shuttered when you drove. I gave it a complete tune up, new oil, filter, spark plugs and coil pack. It has been running better than when I first bought it. It was really easy to do. The spark plugs were not under warranty, which is why I believe the dealer kept saying there was no problem. If problem returns I will try to repost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2019 with 280 miles is the sane way. Seems like I have to press the gas pedal down. Far to get the car to move. Really low pickup. Takes forever to get up to speed on the interstate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I tuned my girls trax. Kept it safe. Gonna run the tune for another 6 months before I start selling it though.

Cut 1 second off the 0 to 60. Shifts like a dream now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts