Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a 2020 Automatic Trax LT a few weeks ago and I am at a loss when it comes to understanding the different gears associated in the 'M' Drive gear.

In my previous car (Automatic Toyota Corolla) when I was going down a steep hill I was able to shift from 'Drive' directly into 'third' to slow the car down.

Today I tried shifting from Drive to 'M' gear while going down a steep hill. When I shifted from Drive to 'M' it went into M6 but I didn't notice the car slowing down at all. I tried going into M5 then M4 but it started making a racing sound so I went back to Drive.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

·
Registered
129 Posts
M is for manual transmission. That means you're switching gears yourself. Going down to 4th gear, that sound means you're going to fast for that gear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M is for manual transmission. That means you're switching gears yourself. Going down to 4th gear, that sound means you're going to fast for that gear.

mjbjr25,

Okay, I understand M meaning I am manually switching gears. But when I switched from 'Drive' to 'M' it automatically went into M6 which didn't slow down my speed but it actually increased as I continued down the hill. If I had only dropped M6 to M5 would that have made a difference in my being able to lower my speed?
Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes. You have a 6 speed transmission. When you swap to manual, it will automatically swap it the correct gear for that speed. Might use the emergency brake to slow down some

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mjbjr25,
All I am trying to do is find a way to decrease my speed when going down a steep hill. In my previous car I would just move from Drive to 3rd gear and it slowed me down enough that I didn't have to ride my brake all the way down the hill.
I appreciate your time but I will just keep searching for a solution besides engaging my Emergency brake.
Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am thinking when you switch from auto to manual while driving you will start off in the gear your transmission was already in at the time. Then you can try and downshift.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EssGee,

So are you saying if I go from 'Drive' to 'M' while I am going 55 MPH and M starts off at M6 I should go down to M5 to try to start decreasing my speed?

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

·
Registered
9 Posts
EssGee,

So are you saying if I go from 'Drive' to 'M' while I am going 55 MPH and M starts off at M6 I should go down to M5 to try to start decreasing my speed?

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever
Yes, I think that would work.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
Yeah, the racing sound is equivalent to rev matching in a manual. You have to up the RPM's depending on how fast you're going, so downshifting will produce the racing sound every time you drop down a gear.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts