Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what a Trax from Australia or Canada or wherever has as standard equipment. My made in Mexico for the Mexican market Trax seems to be very different from the US models. It is a 2015 LT model. Not available with 4wld. No turbo engine. The only model that has that is the LTZ as an option. LT comes only with the 1.8 engine. Mine doesn't have infotainment/nav screen. So no backup camera. No roof rack, only two airbags, no tpms, no auto headlights, no cruise control, no remote start, heated mirrors, seat lumbar adjustment, stability control, drl, telescoping steering wheel, cargo tray under the seat, fog lights, arm rests, or folding front passenger seat.
According to the dealer these things were left off of the LT model to make the car affordable for the average buyer in this country. The LS model here does come with a manual trans (auto extra) and hubcaps only. Otherwise, not much different and there was only about 1,200 dollars difference in price between the two.
The LTZ had the same equipment as the US model (mostly) and cost about 7,000 more than the LS.
Anyway, interesting to see how GM/Holden/Opel build their cars to suit the market they sell in. Also sure makes it interesting to Google info or search for parts. Alan

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Different countries have different mandatory equipment. For example here in Canada DRLs and TPMS are mandatory so are side airbags now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without the tire pressure monitoring system I can run whatever pressure I want without being warned to investigate. I choose to run 30psi which gives a very comfy ride and I still can get over 40mpg if I drive carefully on the highway. I don't have electronic steering...it's hydraulic. Dark blue metallic paint different from US/Canada models. Two tone vinyl/fabric interior, aluminum wheels, lower "chrome" body side mouldings, and a few other differences. Only issue I've had other than basic maintenance is a recently faulty rf window switch. Goes up but not down. Otherwise with just over 80,000 km it has been perfect. Sometimes simpler IS better. GM should concentrate efforts in just making everything work reliably and not get so caught up in the technology just because they can. Most of the problems discussed on this Trax forum are about systems that I don't have. I have ps, pb, pm, tilt, mp3 stereo, front airbags, 6 spd automatic, etc. and great performance and great fuel economy (even at 5,000+ elev.) The Opel designed engine is amazing and dependable. No turbo but hollow dual cams, sodium filled exhaust valves, stainless exhaust, integral oil cooler, cast iron block, aluminum heads, five main bearings, forged I beam rods, continuous variable valve timing, coil on plug, knock control, twin balance shafts on forged crankshaft, and floating pin pistons. Not sure with all this on the 1.8 (which here in Mexico is rated for 140 hp) and which regardless of what Chevy says gets better mpg, why they decided to go the turbo route for all of the US and Canada models. I've read that the next engine is likely to be an even smaller turbo 3 cyl. similar to the base Ford Ecosport. I also think it is a mistake to not offer the manual trans on most models. Work on things like fit and finish, sound insulation, seats and interior trim quality, gauges, controls, ground clearance, full size spare, and better jack equipment. Then make sure all systems work for the life of the car. That car we'd buy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had the 1.8 Eccowhatever in the two Astra XR that we owned. Terrible engine. Glad they didn't put it in the NA Trax. both engines had the same issue around 60 000 miles
Sucking oil into cooling system du to sleeve connector
Issures with VVT mechanism.
These came equipped with 5 speed manual transmissions made in France or Tchekoslovakia in NA models that revved at 3200 rpm at 55 mph in fifth gear on the highway.

Too bad too because the rest of the car was built like a tank. One we gave to one of our sons and he still drives it, flushes the coolant out every 3 months to clear the oil contamination and keep it alive, now has around 80 000 miles and had its clutch replaced around 75 000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts