Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this video has been released by an Amsoil believer but it does not say so in the vid.
Basically they are saying that detergent fuel does not wash the valves and clean them like it does in earlier cars such as my 1988 Buick Reatta. This can lead to expensive repairs where the intake manifold must be removed and the valves being sand blasted with walnut shells.
Informed comments are very welcome.
I am going to use Gumout Fuel System cleaner once a month and am considering installing an oil vapor catch can and changing my own oil using Amsoil 5w-30 and a premium oil filter such as a Bosch Filtech.
This is our retirement vehicle and we don't want to dump a huge amount of money in it every 30,000 or so miles for valve cleaning!
There are several You Tube videos out there about this. Unfortunately I have too few posts here and the forum will not let me post a link.
Simply do a You Tube search for Humble Mechanic direct injection or simply Direct Injection carbon build up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The reason to use Amsoil is that it has one of the lowest NOACK volatility ratings.
If you want to spend an evening researching NOACK volatility ratings, and the NOACK ratings of various premium full synthetic oils, catch cans, premium oil filters and such then get set to spend some time with your favorite search engine. Interesting stuff!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The US-market Trax uses a GM Family 0 Gen III engine, which is an iron-block, aluminum head engine with sequential port fuel injection. The intake runners and intake valves are constantly bathed in gasoline as the engine runs, so you won’t have carbon buildup like in a direct injection engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The US-market Trax uses a GM Family 0 Gen III engine, which is an iron-block, aluminum head engine with sequential port fuel injection. The intake runners and intake valves are constantly bathed in gasoline as the engine runs, so you won’t have carbon buildup like in a direct injection engine.
My Chevy/Buick service manager says my 2016 is direct injection and the intake valves are not bathed in fuel. It is nice to know that I have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. The newer ones have a shorter warranty though.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
2016 Buick Encore, specifically the 2016 Encore Sport Touring model with start stop technology. My 2016 Encore is not direct injected. I suppose that's what you meant with the 153HP. Not a lot of these were sold with the delayed delivery of the "Sport Touring"

·
Registered
51 Posts
If your engine option is "GM 1.4-Liter Turbo I4 Ecotec LE2 Engine", aka B14XFT, you don't have to worry.
GM 1.4-Liter Turbo I4 Ecotec LE2 Engine
A small, but "torque-y" engine.

1-st
Use only good engine oil that has a low volatility at high temperatures(low Noack %)
If not sure what oil to use, use only dexos 1 gen 2 certified oil, but change it every 5000 miles, cause not all GM certified oils are good.
No one knows who provides the factory fill oil to GM, but it is rumoured that for EU it's the belgian Wolflubes and for some markets it's the russian Lukoil.
For North America it may be Mobil or some other brand(ACDelco...).
2-nd change the good oil(the "synthetic" one) always below 5000 miles, cause there are few oils on the market that can keep more than that in severe driving conditions(start/stop city driving and driving/commuting at distances less than 6-10 miles)
3-rd
Install an oil vapor catch can like Mishimoto or any other responsible brand - UPD, I've seen in the other topic that you've decided you don't need one
4-th
Use only unleaded gasoline rated 91 PUMP(I think it's the same as 95 RON in EU, correct me if I'm wrong) octane or higher in your vehicle

You'll easily achieve 100K miles with no serious troubles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts