Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody just said "No thanks" to OnStar? I have gotten along just fine for 50 years driving without that blue button. I do have a cell phone and I know how to read a map. I also have a GPS if needed. So why pay for something that I don't need? My one month trial runs out the 18th and I am just pondering...

MichaelJT

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
Same here, not worth it!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I let the trial expire. I understand Amazons Alexa can also remotely lock/unlock your door or remote start your GM vehicles if you link it to your MyChevy account.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. I had no idea when I posted the question. I discovered afterwards that 2 of my wife's friends also don't bother with OnStar. I don't mind paying for something that is truly useful but I have no experience with these newer tech features. I wanted to get a feeling for the usefulness. My 2005 Vibe didn't have it.

The SiriusXM radio people are bugging the heck out of me too. Neither one of us listen to music much so I will be letting that go as well. I'm sure about that.
Thanks.
MichaelJT

·
Registered
92 Posts
You will eventually get offers for XM for five bucks a month for 5 or 6 months. I usually do that but set a calendar reminder to cancel or else they bill you monthly at standard rates later.

·
Registered
230 Posts
On Star is not even worth the trial period. I tried to use Onstar to navigate to a hotel that I go to often, Onstar said this 25 year old building was to new to be in their database. The best they could do was to get me to the correct city. But even in that route the had me crossing a river where there has never been a bridge, but the road did have the same name on both sides of the river and the numbering continued as if the road went thru. My GPS that I bought back in 2001 had no such problems. I have never been able to ask onstar a question that could actually answer.

I really wish I could buy a car that did not have onstar or something similar even installed. GM is always watching your car like big brother. GM has no need to know where when or what I am doing at any time. If I ever have reason to get into the dash I will unplug the onstar antenna.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man I had no idea. This just keeps getting better and better. I am right there with you on the Big Brother aspect too. I keep getting bugged by my insurance company to get that thing that plugs into the OBD port that tracks your every move. Nope. Not going to happen. My driving record is clean. No tickets or accidents in decades. I don't need a nursemaid. I suspect that this vehicle may already be doing that.

MJT

·
Registered
230 Posts
Your car is already playing big brother. If you are ever in a serious crash the first thing that the police will do is to download the contents of your car. There they will find info leading up to the moment of impact, like speed, throttle position, engine rpm, transmission gear, brake use, rate of acceleration or deceleration, side force, tire slip, and who knows what else.

I had a buddy that had warranty denied because he blew a tranny trying to keep up with me. The dealer plugged in and noted the the top speed the car had reached at some point in time was 89 MPH. That voided the warranty for the entire drive line.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another vote for OnStar is not worth it. I had the trial for 3 months instead of 6 that would have been given if I gave them a CC. Didn't use it once. No need for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We canceled our OnStar when the free trial ended on my wife's Trax too. Even then, supposedly there is some limited OnStar functionality, don't exactly know exactly what it is. And then, all too often, when I flip the Trax mirror's day/night lever, I accidentally bump the OnStar button and it rings in! Then I have to hit the red button to hang up.

I heard that with OnStar GM knows where the car has been from the time it is powered up at the factory until it goes in the junkyard.

As far as Sirius XM (our Trax does not have satellite radio), I finally cancelled it on my Fusion. Got tired of the hassle negotiating down the subscription fee every time I renewed. Besides, I now have unlimited data on my smartphone, so I can bluetooth Pandora or whatever for free for either car! And if I lose cell reception I could always revert to AM or FM.

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
About as useless as **** on a bull

·
Registered
230 Posts
I I was thinking of unplugging the antenna for On star so GM can no longer monitor me or make changes to MY car without my permission. I wonder how long before they would notice and send me a letter telling me to take it into the dealer for service?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got an email from OnStar telling me my 30 day trial was expired. Apparently I still do have some access to limited features.

A change to yourservice plan.
The OnStar® safety and security services that connect you to help when you need it most — including Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance and Roadside Assistance — have expired. We wanted to let you know that you’re now in Chevrolet Connected Access.

SOME OF THE FEATURES YOU NOW HAVE
ACCESS TO INCLUDE:
Vehicle Diagnostics
Proactive Alerts (if available)
Dealer Maintenance Notification
Chevrolet Smart Driver
For more details, go to your vehicle's Owner Center.

Call me old school but the notion of being tracked 24/7 bothers me. Just another excuse to deny warrantee coverage I think.

MJT

·
Registered
1 Posts
CarPlay takes way the need for a majority of OnStar service.

Just bought a Trax. The service is now for only 30 days. My understanding is that after the trial you get diagnosis information and a couple of other features. The features are a great deal for the dealership. On my old Cruz (2013) had free lock/unlock and remote start. I would pay a couple of bucks a month for unlock and remote start, but NOT $15 a month. Also, why don’t they offer a service that if you are in an accident or have your car stolen that they charge you $50 per incident. I would sign up for that service.

The WiFi would be great for families. The kids that just have WiFi devices could be entertained. But for me not having kids not worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all!
I've never bothered with OnStar since using it one time when I first got my 2016 Volt. Seems to me a smartphone/Android Auto/Car Play does everything OS can and better.

I have one issue with my 2019 Trax though, and curious if anyone else has run into this.

I can't change the on-screen clock. The place in settings where I should be able to isn't active and so I can't set it.

I called Chevy and was told that the only way to set it is through OnStar, and since I don't have OnStar....

That seems completely ridiculous to me. Can it be true they somehow tied the ability to set the on-screen clock to OnStar coverage in the 2019 model? I was told by the person on the phone that an update to the system software will have to be issued to address it.

It's not been a big enough issue for me to waste my time taking it in to my dealer to have them look into. I did a web search and haven't been able to find any other report of this problem- so I guess most people just have OnStar which sets the stupid clock, or don't care that it's wrong. (When I first noticed it I was always getting a shock thinking I was an hour late for something!)

Luckily, much of the time I'm using Android Auto and of course the clock is right there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts