Chevy Trax Forum banner

Does Your Trax Drift to the Right? How Did You Fix?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Star Trax 
#1 ·
Hi - My 2020 Trax has been drifting to the right (slightly) at highway speeds on level ground. This had been happening almost since new. I had heard a lot of complaints about the factory Continental tires, and I knew that the tires get rotated at the first service, so I decided to wait and ask the dealer to check it out then. I did the initial service at about 5300 miles and they told me the alignment was slightly off which could cause the drift. I worked as a front end and alignment mechanic a long time ago so I was skeptical when they told me that because the toe was slightly out of specs on one side, it could cause the pull. Typically, that can cause tire wear or the steering wheel to be off-center, but neither is a problem. I remember caster adjustments to cause pulls, but the caster on my Trax (like camber) is within range, but neither one is adjustable anyway.
I thought the alignment should be done under warranty, which the dealer refused to do. After contacting Chevy and speaking to the service manager, they agreed to do it for half price, which they did on Monday.
Driving to and from work yesterday - same drift - no difference.
I baby this car, have had her for 10 months and have less than 6000 miles, and am somewhat annoyed with having this problem. Could the power steering somehow cause a drift like this? Slight, but the car will change lanes in 10 seconds or so at highway speed if you let go of the wheel. Should they try moving the tires front to back or side to side before they develop too much of a memory?
Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what did you do to get it corrected? I am going back to the dealer again but would like some info from you about similar problems and possible solutions, to try to help get this problem fixed. . Thank you in advance for your thoughts!
TY Bill

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi - Thank you for the reply. According to the alignment report, the camber and caster are both reading in specs. I'm thinking it's a tire issue like you suggested. I had Chevrolet contact the dealer to make the appointment so my Trax will be back in again in a week or so. I'll let everyone know what happens next. TY Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.