Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have come to my first issue with my 2018 Trax LT. The door locking mechanism works intermittently, both with the OnStar app or keyless fob as well pressing the button inside the cabin. The lights will flash as if it's unlocking or locking and horn will beep for passive lock but the locks themselves will not move at all. However I can go for a drive then it will work. When its not working the door will not lock when driving away. However the strange part is the trunk lock will still work(That is how I have been getting into the car haha).

I'm thinking there is a bad relay but have little knowledge on what could have caused this or if this is the problem. Also the where the relay for locks is located? There are no check engine lights on dash or anything else showing signs of a problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Did you check your battery voltage? You may have a bad cell. Should be 12.3 volt minimum with engine not running.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Vehicle will still start with a bad cell and most stuff will still run normally. Except remotes, they need vehicle voltage to be at least 12.3 volts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it's battery because the intermittent failure. Also when the car is running it still won't work even when the button inside is pressed. Also when the car is moved from a parked position to driving the doors do not automatically lock

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I was going to try to remove liftgate relay just to see if that was the problem. Well I couldn't pull it out because of how tight it's in there(also never pulled one before) but when wiggling the relay box I got it to work! Think I will just take it to dealer tell them to replace it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I was going to try to remove liftgate relay just to see if that was the problem. Well I couldn't pull it out because of how tight it's in there(also never pulled one before) but when wiggling the relay box I got it to work! Think I will just take it to dealer tell them to replace it
I just recently bought a 2018 LT trim and I’m experiencing the same issues. Did the problem come back after some time or are you door lock issue free?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just recently bought a 2018 LT trim and I’m experiencing the same issues. Did the problem come back after some time or are you door lock issue free?
Okay so it was fixed, could have done it myself but I'm not comfortable removing door panels and monkeying with interior stuff especially since its new still and my DD. But it was the x500(200?- don't remember the connector name) that is inside driver door panel. Apparently it was loose or not fully on. That was according to dealer repair sheet what they did. Makes sense though now it works perfectly and hadn't had an issue. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay so it was fixed, could have done it myself but I'm not comfortable removing door panels and monkeying with interior stuff especially since its new still and my DD. But it was the x500(200?- don't remember the connector name) that is inside driver door panel. Apparently it was loose or not fully on. That was according to dealer repair sheet what they did. Makes sense though now it works perfectly and hadn't had an issue. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply. I believe in your situation it was all the doors? Mine is just the front passenger and rear driver side door that works intermittently. I wonder if it’s the similar problem. I don’t know if it’s an actuator that needs to be replaced. I only have 58k on my 2018.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes for me it was all doors except trunk. Yours still should be under warranty. Sounds more like actuator but wierd how it's on 2 doors? If you are comfortable check out that plug inside door panel and see.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Dealer techs say stupid stuff sometimes. There is no way a loose connector in the driver's door could stopped the other 3 doors from locking or unlocking. There is no interconnection between the 4. Had he said corrosion or loose connection at the BCM ( Body Control Module ) I would have thought that would have made sense. They must think we're idiots...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealer techs say stupid stuff sometimes. There is no way a loose connector in the driver's door could stopped the other 3 doors from locking or unlocking. There is no interconnection between the 4. Had he said corrosion or loose connection at the BCM ( Body Control Module ) I would have thought that would have made sense. They must think we're idiots...

View attachment 3877

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah what you posted was my initial thought too, especially because fob, power lock buttons, or keyless entry didn't work.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
However the strange part is the trunk lock will still work (That is how I have been getting into the car haha).
The rear hatch is on a separate relay but still gets it's signal from the BCM.
You should be able to unlock the driver's door with the key!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts