Chevy Trax Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
The good old days of reversing the air filter cover, exposing a 1/2 inch gap all the way around for the sound. Then, your dad giving you **** for doing it on his car. LOL

·
Registered
184 Posts
Firstly.. I would never leave an air filter and not clean it for 200,000km. That's just mind blasting to me lmao but I have heard there are a lot of downsides to K&N filters as well from various other forums and what not. I'll see if I can dig up some info on it. The sound could change though, even though it's still a sealed enclosure, the air filter allows more air through it over the stock filter and will result in a sound change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always been a bit leary of 'high-flow' filters. I always question what in the name of filtering was sacrificed for flow... I'v heard that K and N's can be a bit more porous then optimal. Mind you that was from the motorcycle community...
Agreed. They will allow dust through to porous gauze filter media.

·
Registered
5 Posts
...I have heard there are a lot of downsides to K&N filters as well from various other forums and what not..
Agreed. I have read (and seen) a lot of negatives too.

One example is my own experience. I opened a K&N box in a store, held the filter up to the light and I could see through the gauze media. After seeing that, and seeing various threads on motorcycle and Jeep forums about dusting passing through the filter, I will NEVER run a K&N air filter. Seeing daylight through the one I took out of the box was the thing that sealed my decision of never using one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ladies and Gentlemen.

Maybe I forgot to mention at the beginning of this topic, but the main reason I opened this topic is to show that there's an alternative for the OEM Air filter. In my case, one of the BIG advantages I found is the price. Where I live, the OEM cost the same and because of the weather, I need to change it each 5000 Km, but with the KN, I clean it the same amount of Km and last 200,000 KM.

Does it make sense? Maybe for some of us isn't worth... To be honest, I don't care if the KN filter gives horse power, noise, etc...

It's a cost efective matter....

·
Registered
772 Posts
This may sound cheap to some people but I have washed air filters, the kind that are sturdy enough to be washed.

I sprayed it with simple green let it stand a few minutes then rinsed it from the inside out using hot water.

Then I used high pressure air to blow it out the same way inside out.

Not all air filters can be washed this way, but as long as it holds together and you dry it well it works.
I have done tests with new and washed filters in the same car with no loss of mpg's.

The test vehicle was a 97 Acura CL 2.3 with a manual transmission, the filter has a plastic housing it was a perfect candidate for washing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts