Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I ripped my block heater cord off the plug. I had to go and buy the $60 cord at Piston ring, as the 2016 Trax, has something thermostatic in the cord. It was suggested to splice the cord, which I was going to go at first, but I will have a code on the car apparently forever. I am trying to figure out where the cord plugs into ? I can’t find the block heater ? Do I get on the ground and look under the engine ? Is it easy to see ? Can I do it myself ? It’s just a plug, but is it covered by a bunch of things ?

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Should be somewhere between alternator and starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, do you think I can get to the block heater cord place, where I have to plug in the new cord from the top of the engine? I’m very short so I could stand on a ladder or do I have to go underneath the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
I'm believe from the top on a 2016. 2015 and previous would be on the oil pan. I don't know what would be in the way though, never had to replace one. I'd check my Trax but it is very miserable out tonight.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
I looked at it this morning, you're going to need a hoist to get to it. It is under the intake manifold on the back of the engine. You will probably need to remove a few protective shields too to get at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks , I don’t even know what the oil pan, or anything looks like, I wish I did. It seems like it would be easy to just plug in this cord. But I don’t know where. Ugh , I can’t stand paying
I looked at it this morning, you're going to need a hoist to get to it. It is under the intake manifold on the back of the engine. You will probably need to remove a few protective shields too to get at it.
Thanks so much for checking ! I will have to take it to a mechanic darn it. I have been thinking though, that if I splice the cords together, will it give off a code ? The dealer said a wrong plug would give off a code forever. Hmmm I’m really trying to avoid an hour of $85 & taxes & shop supplies to fix this !

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Is it just the plug you ripped off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it just the plug you ripped off?
Yes, a long story short , I went to a friends cousin , who is a mechanic, he tested the power out of the cord and put in a yellow plug and there is no codes showing( as someone else said there would be. The dealer was going to charge me $56 to replace the cord. Which was a decent price for the service dept to do anything. Now I am taking the $60 plug back. I am back to it costing me $0 , and everything seems fine .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts