Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum I am new to this forum
I have a 2016 Trax LS never had an issue except A/C Wife just had a CEL come on with (according to O'Reilly) code P0171 and P0131
the reader said it was for the 02 sensor b1 s1 however she received a note from onstar saying she had an issue with the ABS and Traction control.
the only issue I have personally observed recently was a ticking sound but oil is good change is current and Autozone said with the Trax if the pads were low it will start throwing erroneous codes. ANY help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated I am not an ASE certified mech but I am not afraid to tackle anything if I know what it is.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
P0171 is a lean code often cause by a leaky intake after the MAF sensor. Loose coupling or puncture holes.
But since P0131 is a code for the first HO² it can also be cause by an upstream HO² starting to fall out of specification.

What kind of mileage do you have on your Trax?

HO² stands for Heated Oxygen.

More than likely you will find that the heater element of your first HO² has burnt out.

Once engine is warmed up try clearing the code, if the check engine light doesn't come back on until next cold start-up you'll know it's the pre-cat HO².

Reactions: ChevyTraxLS+

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replace with ACDelco only or OEM.

2013-2016 GM#55563348

You can even get them on ebay
This failure in no way will hurt your engine but you may see a drop in fuel economy so even if it takes 3 days to get the part you can still drive your vehicle .
Well I sent a reply not sure what happened to it First and foremost thanks for the reply. I'm assuming the heater element of the first HO² is for the O² sensor you linked previously if so great also the mileage on the Trax is about 69k and only problems has been an A/C leak. This all occurred immediately after my wife fulled her gas tank could their be an issue their mimicking the O² sensor. Lastly is their a trick to clearing this code I have a code reader but can't find it now that I need it. Thanks again I'll see if this one posts.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If you start getting nutsy codes, check the battery connections to make sure they clean and tight.

If they persist have the battery checked, low voltage drives these computers nuts.

A battery can be going bad long before it fails completely.

Clear your codes, if they come back again then have the car checked out.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Doubt it's a bad battery, he's got 2 codes from 2 different sources both pointing to an HO² sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guess I can't quote you or they block it. I was saying My wife had just filled her tank prior to these codes coming up. I checked the gas cap but codes remain is there a quick way to clear the codes I can't find my code reader. Also I saw a you tube video that shows to check if the sensor is good/bad check the resistance between the two black wires on the O2 sensor but it isn't a chevy to do this he set the voltmeter to 200 mha is the the correct setting for this one as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Find your code reader and clear it once engine is warm or you can disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. I don't like doing that.

Every car owner that owns a smart phone should own one of these ( $8 USd ) with the Torque APP.

Bluetooth OBDII port code reader

Torque APP is free unless you get the Torque Pro APP ( $4 USd )

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
One time, you just purchase the APP and you don't even have to purchase the APP because for most people the free Torque APP will suffice.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got that o2 sensor ordered and changed still idles pretty rough does it take time to clearout or do I have another issue to find the CEL has not came back on I drove it about 5 miles or so to see if it smoothed out

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
1 time, I use this all the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just checked the codes that returned after changing the upstream sensor the P0171 returned and P2270 which is new definitely feel the up stream sensor was bad since the rough idle has stopped any ideas what could cause or the remedy. Could have waiting too long to change the upstream sensor cause the downstream one to go bad

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
That code is for the downstream sensor. Odd that it would fail after you changed the upstream.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Could you have a partial failure of the coil pack??, from what I hear these are failing often.

That would give you a rough unsteady idle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since I am having this problem with my dodge ram a faulty coil pack has thrown a cylinder misfire on it just really frustrating
it has a traction control light that comes on every so often also any one have an idea where that sensor is at

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Which sensor?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts