Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with my 2016 LS. Getting the code P0420 and was told I needed a new front converter so I had it installed along with both oxygen sensors, map sensor, maf sensor, fuel rail sensor and flex pipe. Code was cleared and after many drive cycles came back on a few days later. Cleared again and is back on. Went back to the dealer and was then told oh your problem is the converter behind the manifold but the front one. If course the wanted to charge me another $1000 so I left. I went to a shop that strictly deals with exhausts and was told that on the Trax the converter behind the exhaust manifold would not give that code so not to waste my money. Can someone help. It's driving me nuts !

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Only one converter on the Trax, it is under the hood right after the turbo. The other canister down the line is just a resonator. P0420 is usually a bad flex pipe. Make sure they welded the new one properly all the way around on both sides. Any leaks will cause P0420 again. Flex pipe needs a full weld all the way around. Most garage cheap out and don't pull the pipe off to do a good job. A good mechanic will tac it in place then remove the pipe and weld it on the bench and re-install. Thumbs up to these guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only one converter on the Trax, it is under the hood right after the turbo. The other canister down the line is just a resonator. P0420 is usually a bad flex pipe. Make sure they welded the new one properly all the way around on both sides. Any leaks will cause P0420 again. Flex pipe needs a full weld all the way around. Most garage cheap out and don't pull the pipe off to do a good job. A good mechanic will tac it in place then remove the pipe and weld it on the bench and re-install. Thumbs up to these guys.
I'm a bit confused. When I look up the parts it does show 2 different converters that go on it. The one I'm speaking of is the one in front of the engine where the upstream oxygen sensor goes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pic I posted is what was replaced

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't fix the problem did it. That is the cat the only one on a Trax. Check the weld work on the flex pipe for leaks.
I actually took it to a muffler shop for that to be checked and they said it's fine. My feeling all along was that there's a leak somewhere because it's just not running smooth and I can hear some slight fluttering coming from underneath. On an obd2 what would I focus on to be able to try to pinpoint the problem ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having an issue with my 2016 LS. Getting the code P0420 and was told I needed a new front converter so I had it installed along with both oxygen sensors, map sensor, maf sensor, fuel rail sensor and flex pipe. Code was cleared and after many drive cycles came back on a few days later. Cleared again and is back on. Went back to the dealer and was then told oh your problem is the converter behind the manifold but the front one. If course the wanted to charge me another $1000 so I left. I went to a shop that strictly deals with exhausts and was told that on the Trax the converter behind the exhaust manifold would not give that code so not to waste my money. Can someone help. It's driving me nuts !
Ipp I had the same problem there was a recall on that and it's supposed to be fixed for free you need to ask your dealership about the recall mine was a 2016 LS also

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ipp I had the same problem there was a recall on that and it's supposed to be fixed for free you need to ask your dealership about the recall mine was a 2016 LS also
I called a gm and they said they show no recalls on it. Unless it's not covered because of the miles on it. Do you remember when yours was done and how many miles ?

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
It's not a recall, it's a bulletin. The better dealerships honor it others don't want to bother with the paperwork.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts