Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2016 Trax in October. That plastic cover with the word "Ecotech" right on top of the engine is loose and rattling. Is it held in place with a bolt, nut or just a pressure connection? When I put my hand on it and press down slightly it stops the rattle. I don't see anything to tighten it. Any ideas how to fix this?

·
Super Moderator
2,256 Posts
There should be 3 studs to where the cover attaches snuggly. Maybe the last person that removed it missed one upon re-install.

·
Super Moderator
2,256 Posts
It does serve a purpose, actually 2.

Keeps dirt an splash over from the top of the engine and the other is to reduce turbulence under the engine bay causing drag.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It does serve a purpose, actually 2.

Keeps dirt an splash over from the top of the engine and the other is to reduce turbulence under the engine bay causing drag.
We will have to disagree. It may reduce noise slightly in some applications.

·
Super Moderator
2,256 Posts
Finally somebody disagrees, hard to get dialogue or discussions going when everybody agrees with you. I know the Cadillac CTS gained .3l/100 by diminishing underhood turbulence. Even the little valance under the front bumper on the Trax is calculated for max negative drag coefficient. Argue if you want and it is welcomed. I'll dig up more info to back-up my point.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Finally somebody disagrees, hard to get dialogue or discussions going when everybody agrees with you. I know the Cadillac CTS gained .3l/100 by diminishing underhood turbulence. Even the little valance under the front bumper on the Trax is calculated for max negative drag coefficient. Argue if you want and it is welcomed. I'll dig up more info to back-up my point.
You might convince me on the drag. The dirt, I don't think matters. It's going to get dirty no matter what you do!

I do know the 3800 engines would trap heat under the cover and fry your alternator faster due to alternator placement. The forum guys all said removing the cover helped lower alternator temps.

I know the front bumpers get lower and lower for fuel economy. A Z71 Silverado front bumper will drag on a parking curb, they are lower than the Trax! They are not easy to remove either, even though the manual says to remove it for off road situations!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts