Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2019 Trax 1.4L turbo. LUV. Is there an O ring on the engine oil plug that needs to be changed with the oil change?
Thanks,

·
Registered
29 Posts
The oil pan plug has a little gasket seal in it, but it doesn't need to be replaced.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding!
Do you know what the torque on the drain plug and on the oil filter cover is?
Or can I just use the "by feel" method like I did on my Dodge?

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
Notice the torque spec for oil pan drain plug is in lb-in not lb-ft. Very little torque on the plug, it is an aluminium oil pan and you can easily strip the threads if you're not careful. That's the whole reason behind the 10mm head. Garages that put these with the impact over torque these by a large amount. 124 lb-in is like 10 lb-ft

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, you are so technical and specific! I love it!
I need to borrow a torque wrench. Don't know if Harbor Freight has those "disposable" ones. 😄
Thank you so much!

Do you have any tricks for catching the dripped oil when removing the filter? I'm thinking of using a plastic sheet under it.
cj

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
I just use a rag, but if you crack the filter cap open before you drain the oil there will be almost no oil left in the filter by the time the oil has drained out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Best to use a 6 point socket and not a 12 point. Using a 12 point socket head gives less contact on the bolt and can ended up chewing up the head

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
I tried one of those on a previous Cobalt. It didn't even last the first oil change. Driving along on the highway something on the road came up and hit the valve snapping it right at the threads. Lucky for me I heard the thump and stopped to the side of the road to watch the oil dribble out. Had it towed home, removed what was left of the fumoto and put a regular drain plug back in. I still have an other new one that I never installed.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
65 Posts
That’s my one concern about using them; why I use the lowest profile version offered instead of the extended nipple version. Glad you caught it in time. I imagine my first encounter will be my last too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s my one concern about using them; why I use the lowest profile version offered instead of the extended nipple version. Glad you caught it in time. I imagine my first encounter will be my last too.
That's the first thing I thought of and why I didn't want to use one. I'd be worried that something would hit it and snap it somehow. Guess I'm old fashioned.:)

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
65 Posts
That's the first thing I thought of and why I didn't want to use one. I'd be worried that something would hit it and snap it somehow. Guess I'm old fashioned.:)
Never had an issue myself over the past 30+ years and a few hundred thousand miles. But like I mention, the first time I do have an issue will likely be the last time I use them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do think it's a great idea though. Thanks for the input!
I just bought the Castrol Edge synthetic and a wix filter to get 'er done on Sunday.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just use a rag, but if you crack the filter cap open before you drain the oil there will be almost no oil left in the filter by the time the oil has drained out.
Hi Traxy,
I got a regular Wix filter with the Castrol Edge 5 30. Should I have gotten a better filter?
thanks,
cj

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never had an issue myself over the past 30+ years and a few hundred thousand miles. But like I mention, the first time I do have an issue will likely be the last time I use them.
Just sent this to Traxy:

I got a regular Wix filter with the Castrol Edge 5 30. Should I have gotten a better filter? Like the Fram Extra Guard 10246?

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
Wix is fine, I use a filter made especially for synthetic, it doesn't use a paper media.

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
That's a hengst filter, make sure yours isn't a UFI

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, it was getting late so I went out to get another filter. I got the Wix XP 57674 for better protection. It's rated higher than the standard Wix 57674

1 - 20 of 28 Posts