Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my trax for a little over a year.

Within the first 3 months the A.C. compressor died and the engine would make a very high pitched noise (almost like it was coming through the speakers). However it was the AC compressor bc it blew no cold air as well.

Chevy replaced the compressor, and the noise for the most part went away, however the noise is still there whenever I let off the gas or when I'm starting out from a stop sign/light (mainly noticable during city driving).

The noise is very subtle now, it's like the whizzing/electronic/grinding noise coming from the front right of the car (no its not the turbo, I know what a turbo sounds like).

Chevy doesn't know what it is either.

Any ideas?

-Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
Every time I turn on the AC (now that it is boiling hot outside), I hear that same high pitched sound. It is kind of faint, but I do feel cold air coming out of the vents, so the AC seems to be working. I actually hear it when I push on the gas and it seems odd. I have recirculate on so I wonder if that could be causing the noise? When I don't have the AC on, I don't hear it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Its really hard to diagnose a noise without hearing it in person.

Recirculate just cools or heats cabin air, it draws no outside air in at all, the blower fan will sound louder on recirculate.

It could be the blower motor making noise, but I doubt they would change it without the motor stopping completely.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Every time I turn on the AC (now that it is boiling hot outside), I hear that same high pitched sound. It is kind of faint, but I do feel cold air coming out of the vents, so the AC seems to be working. I actually hear it when I push on the gas and it seems odd. I have recirculate on so I wonder if that could be causing the noise? When I don't have the AC on, I don't hear it.

Hi Nightfire,

I regret to hear about your air conditioning in your Trax. I understand how this can be frustrating with summer coming up quickly! If you are interested in visiting a dealership for this concern feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to assist you!

Kindly,

Cristina Y
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi Nightfire,

I regret to hear about your air conditioning in your Trax. I understand how this can be frustrating with summer coming up quickly! If you are interested in visiting a dealership for this concern feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to assist you!

Kindly,

Cristina Y
Chevrolet Customer Care
That's some great help to be offering up since it helps to have that other level of help collaborating with another level of help. Hopefully all works out for the original poster. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Chevy Trax is doing the same thing. Just bought a 2016 recently. I've been to the dealer a few times for it and they say "that is just the release valve in the AC." It is a very annoying noise. It does it frequently and only when the AC is on. I love my Trax, and have owned a Sonic in the past which I never had one problem with. Being told "that is just a noise that the Trax makes" is not an acceptable answer. Now dealing with the owner of the dealership to address this problem. How can Chevy make and sell a vehicle that makes this kind of obnoxious noise frequently!? Very disappointing Chevy!!! I normally love your vehicles, and do love this one, but this noise is ridiculous.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the dealer is saying that the Trax is supposed to make that noise with the air conditioning on, then we all have to deal with it. I hear the same thing and I have gotten used to it. I owned a Honda Fit before and trust me, that made a lot more odd and very disturbing noises than the Trax. If you wanted a quiet cabin then you could've looked at a Buick Encore which is more expensive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Funny the things we ignore or do not notice when we test drive our own new vehicles. Then after we own the new car, we hear and notice every detail LOL But honestly I agree with Nightfire, higher priced models generally mean better attention to details such as road noise etc...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm not hearing the A/C noise described here and a few other threads on this site. I'm in SoCal and have the A/C on almost every day, and 6500 miles on the Trax so far. The only time I heard an unusual noise was when I didn't have the drivers door closed all the way, it was a whistling noise. I don't even hear the turbo spin up like other turbocharged cars, and even hooked up a boost gauge to make sure it works (it does). How many miles do you have on your Trax and has the noise always been there since you bought it? I'm wondering if it's belt squeal or possibly the belt tensioner going bad.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Chevy Trax is doing the same thing. Just bought a 2016 recently. I've been to the dealer a few times for it and they say "that is just the release valve in the AC." It is a very annoying noise. It does it frequently and only when the AC is on. I love my Trax, and have owned a Sonic in the past which I never had one problem with. Being told "that is just a noise that the Trax makes" is not an acceptable answer. Now dealing with the owner of the dealership to address this problem. How can Chevy make and sell a vehicle that makes this kind of obnoxious noise frequently!? Very disappointing Chevy!!! I normally love your vehicles, and do love this one, but this noise is ridiculous.
Hello Hockeymom3x,

We regret to hear that you are experiencing a noise coming from your AC. This is certainly not the experience we want our customers to have and we apologize for any frustrations this may have caused. I would be happy to look into this further for you and assist in any way that I can so that we can help you love your new Trax just as much, if not more, than your Sonic. If this is something you are interested in please send us a private message.
Best,

Netty J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is great to see. Not the issues, but that we have @ChevroletCustomerCare here on board of the forums to help us out ! Thanks guys !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have started having the same problem and noticed noticed the a.c. clutch not spinning. Then the problem subsides and a.c. blows cold. Making an appointment to the dealership for this weekend.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If your AC blows cold then warms up, the refrigerant might be low or you don't have your AC knob all the way turned to cold.

If you do have it set on the coldest setting then your AC needs to be serviced.

Make sure they check it for leaks because a car as new as a Trax shouldn't need to be charged this soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am hearing a little electronic whirring noise after I get out of the Trax in my garage. The engine is off, and as I'm walking away from the car, there is that electronic noise. Brand new car - it's got the push button start. Any ideas what it is? If I open and shut a door, it will do it too. It seems to be by the passenger front in the engine compartment. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Probably the purge valve if it's a clicking sound. If it's like a buzzing sound like a little motor probably from the check valve of the pre-prime from the fuel pump. Whenever I put my car in the garage and the door is closed I also here all these little sounds with my Encore, the Trax sleeps outside and never hear these with the ambient noises.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts