Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2018 Trax 8 months ago. It has 18k on it. About two weeks ago my engine started to make a sound like it didn’t have oil in it. I checked the oil looked fine and full. I took it to get an early oil change thinking that would stop the ticking. Didn’t work. I feel like the engine ticking should not be this loud. The car runs perfectly fine. Does anyone know what that would be and what I can do to stop it.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
My Trax sounds like a diesel, I had it checked out and the mechanic said they all do that. Well my Encore doesn't sound like that. He said " give it time " "and they still sound the same at 300,000kms"

So apparently these get noisy after a while, my Trax has 60,000 kms and my Encore has 20,000kms . It doesn't seem to hurt it's performance but like you I find it a bit annoying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have an ‘18, bought 8 months ago, 14k on the clock so far. I agree that this car definitely generates some engine noise - with a smaller 1.4 block, and that throaty turbo, it’s not quiet. I don’t get ticking from the engine, though. As long as there’s no change in performance or efficiency, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently have this ticking and it only occurs during acceleration. I opened the hood and found that the purge valve (EVAP canister) is ticking, possibly failing and I am replacing it I will see if this fixes it. No codes or loss of power, rhythmic under acceleration I can't hear it in neutral or at idle in the car driving. Its pretty loud but if you turn the radio up I can't hear it. If anything it might stop it from sounding like a diesel at idle

·
Super Moderator
265 Posts
My guess is either the valve is stuck and you're hearing the selanoid click in an attempt to adjust; or a piece of the charcoal filter broke free and is rattling around inside when the engine is actually under stress.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2013 Trax. Everything is fine when I first start the car and am traveling at a normal speed. However, when I decelerate and stop, I hear a pinging sound. Very similar to what others have described. Hopefully, this can be a simple fix. Even if this doesn't affect performance, it's still annoying.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I noticed it too on my new 19 Trax with the factory ac delco oil. It quieted down a ton sounds a lot smoother with mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Trax 8 months ago. It has 18k on it. About two weeks ago my engine started to make a sound like it didn’t have oil in it. I checked the oil looked fine and full. I took it to get an early oil change thinking that would stop the ticking. Didn’t work. I feel like the engine ticking should not be this loud. The car runs perfectly fine. Does anyone know what that would be and what I can do to stop it.
My 2017 had ticking and an intermittent check engine light. It was the solenoid that meters fuel vapors into the intake manifold. They know it's a common problem and a defect. Gm sent out a letter to owners for a free fix up to 120,000 miles. The only gotcha is that if it's not the problem you pay for the diagnosis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts