Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Turbo with 50,000 miles that I bought new. I noticed a few weeks ago when I was waiting at a coffee shop drive through that I could hear a ticking from under the hood while idling. I just thought it was the fuel injectors.
Now it is getting louder. The check engine light is not on, I have been super conservative with any service and have never had any problems with the car. Gas mileage is 32.2 and has not changed, in fact it has increased a bit in the last year.
I fired her up in the garage at night, opened the hood and could see no sparking in the dark. It idles smoothly and is not missing. I'm thinking she has a bad lifter.
Any ideas? Car was assembled in Mexico and I live in Arizona.

·
Super Moderator
2,318 Posts
Mine is the same. Runs good but a bit of a noisy valve train.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the coil pack and spark plugs with the help of a You Tube video. Easy diy job! I also replaced the cabin air filter and the engine air filter. Still a bit of drivetrain noise. The acceleration is much better now!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, the counter guy at my local NAPA gave me the correct spark plugs but TWO packs of 4 plugs in each package? For a 4 cyl engine. I got a refund the next day.

·
Super Moderator
2,318 Posts
None of what you did will affect this noise, so I'm not surprised nothing much as changed. Only oil or cam adjustment will make a change in the valve train noise so don't worry too much about it. Mine has been making noise for 5 years and 100,000 kms ( 60,000 miles )

·
Registered
169 Posts
2015 LT AWD made in Korea. Mine started making a ticking noise about 2 weeks ago. I notice it when I am outside while the engine is idling and not at temp. It is occasional. It will click once about every 30 - 45 seconds. Sometimes the fan by the radiator will come on for 2 seconds then stop. Occasionally the idle will increase for about 2 seconds. A bit over 65,000 miles, Oil changed quarterly. Trans and coolant flushed early. Differential and transfer case oil changed last year. Nothing seems out of the ordinary for driving, although my fuel economy is down from this time last year (thinking due to a slightly shorter commute). Check engine light not on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts