Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 TRAX LS 1.4L with 115K miles. I am the original owner and know the complete service history of the vehicle. A few weeks ago I drove to the supermarket and when I started the car back up the check engine light immediately came on. I pulled a single code - "U0073 Control Module Communication Bus Off." I cleared the code and did not start or drive or for a few days. The next time I drove it, I let it warm up and went less than a mile before the check engine light came on. Another 1/2 mile and every warning light on the dash came on. The tach stopped working, the car lost power, dropped to low gear, and speed was restricted. Less and another 1/2 mile and everything went back to normal (except for the check engine light). I cleared the code, checked all the fuses, and reseated the harnesses on the computer. The next time I drove it, the car started right up and was fine for about 5 miles before the same condition repeated. The battery is less than 6 months old and is testing a full voltage. The original alternator is charging at least 14.5V as tested at the battery.

I am reluctant to drive the car at all because I am afraid of getting stuck. I suspect the TIPM may be the problem but I'd like to feel more confident about replacing it before I spend the time and money. Has anyone had similar symptoms or experiences with their TRAX? Does anyone have any suggestions to troubleshoot this further?

Today I started it (did not drive it) and there was no check engine light. However, I checked for trouble codes and 3 popped up. I cleared them and rescanned with no codes. Photos are attached. (P0700, U0100, U0073.)

Any advice? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Sure looks like a bad ground. Check the one in front of the battery at the bottom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the tip. I checked that ground connection and it wasn't loose, but it had a lot of oxidation. Cleaned it off and reattached. Car runs great and no more trouble codes. You saved me a lot of time, money, and headaches.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
You're welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts