Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i just purchased a trax 2017 (Australian model so Holden) and it only came with 1 set of keys.

i've tried to get a 2nd set but unsure if 1; i got the right set, and 2: how to program it.

The original set of keys was a 2 button u-shin 433mhz model B01T3BA similar to below...
Wood Gadget Audio equipment Communication Device Cable

i ended up getting a new set online, and pre cut to my codes. IT does work for entry (and does have the alarm issue which i have read on the forum such that if you open it using the key, the alarm will go off - unless you had closed it with the key previously), however, i havent had any success getting it to start the engine (or programming theremote door buttons on the remote).

is there any tricks to this (i tried the turn on with old key programmed key, turn off, turn back on with new unprogrammed key with no luck... figured new models might have changed abit?)
figured theres2 possible issies:
1: the programming im trying to do isnt for this model
2: the replacement car key isnt compatible (the new set is witte - cm 3500226, wheres the old set is 13501926).

keen for any help or things to try

Thanks

·
Administrator
2,663 Posts
I program a dozen of these a week and cut keys, never had a problem yet. Are you sure your flip key is 433MHz. Here in Canada these are all 315MHz. The procedure I use is:
1) Insert original key and turn ignition to on for a few seconds, remove key.
2) Insert new key and turn to ignition for a few seconds, then remove key.
3) Re-insert key and start the vehicle. If it starts the buttons should also be programmed.

If it doesn't start you either have the wrong frequency or wrong transponder.
Here is the difference ( 315 to the left )
Circuit component Electronic instrument Automotive lighting Electronic engineering Electronic component

The 433MHz FOB uses a 13.560 crystal
Green White Circuit component Electronic component Electronic engineering

where the 315MHz uses a 9.8437
Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Blue Hardware programmer

Transponder is on the tip of the board rectangular shaped with copper windings.
If you get an other FOB you can swap the key from FOB to FOB by punching out the spring pin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply.

The fob i received appears like the left image of yours, however, it is a 13.560mhz crystal. The original working one is marked as 433mhz on the casing (though i can try and open it up to confirm)

Ill retry the steps you indicated just to be sure. Do you have a source for the pcb part? (I can try replacing that and see if ut helps).

Ive also read you might need 2 programmed keys to program any new keys?
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Computer hardware

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interestingly enough, i tried again using the steps above, I would start the car up with the main set of keys, wait afew seconds, turn it off and start up with the unprogrammed set. The car would actually start, but the immobiliser lights were still on, however, i could drive....

removing the 2nd set of keys, waiting a min or so, i would not be able to restart the car (with that 2nd key), and the buttons were notworking. I assume it still hasn't been programmed?

·
Administrator
2,663 Posts
Don't start the car. Just ignition. And you have to pull the second key out of the ignition and re-insert, then start the car. If the buttons don't work it hasn't been programmed.

Original key would be glued shut, don't attempt to open it unless you have a replacement case.

you don't need the original 2 keys, only one.

Reactions: syscon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't start the car. Just ignition. And you have to pull the second key out of the ignition and re-insert, then start the car. If the buttons don't work it hasn't been programmed.

Original key would be glued shut, don't attempt to open it unless you have a replacement case.

you don't need the original 2 keys, only one.
Thanks, will give it a go tomorrow morning (just in case it wakes up neighbours) and let you know how it goes.

·
Administrator
2,663 Posts
I know we are 12 hours apart so delayed answers are acceptable. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know we are 12 hours apart so timely answers are acceptable. lol
No luck, i tried again today and still cant get it to program. 2 other sets of keys arrived (i really wanted to get 3 sets in all, 1 for me, 1 for partner and 1 for backup) and they also had the same kind of issues. Was hoping this might be a cheaper approach but now my gut feel is that the u-shin fobs / keys are slightly different?

i did read cup holder trick etc, unsure if the newer (2017 is newer?) trax has things setup a bit differently?

i might see if i can get a video of what i tried just to see if theres anything obvious im doing wrong...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I program a dozen of these a week and cut keys, never had a problem yet. Are you sure your flip key is 433MHz. Here in Canada these are all 315MHz. The procedure I use is:
1) Insert original key and turn ignition to on for a few seconds, remove key.
2) Insert new key and turn to ignition for a few seconds, then remove key.
3) Insert key and start the vehicle. If it starts the buttons should also be programmed.

If it doesn't start you either have the wrong frequency or wrong transponder.
Here is the difference ( 315 to the left )
View attachment 4547
The 433MHz FOB uses a 13.560 crystal
View attachment 4545
where the 315MHz uses a 9.8437
View attachment 4548

Transponder is on the tip of the board rectangular shaped with copper windings.
If you get an other FOB you can swap the key from FOB to FOB by punching out the spring pin.
Very informative... thanks for this

1 - 9 of 9 Posts