Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Trax owner here. Want to install a fog light kit in my 2017 Trax LT. I assume you just pop out the current inserts and install the new insert with fog light into it. Do I have to remove the bumper to do so or is there another way to do it. Tried searching this forum for fog light installation, but could not find anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check out this thread - traxforum.com/forum/409-electronics-audio-lighting/2826-adding-fog-lamps-2015-trax.html
You may all the information you need there.

·
Super Moderator
2,173 Posts
The 2017 has been redesigned and might be different than 2016 down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interested in this as well. From what I have researched, and hope I’m wrong, is the 2017 has different fog light bezels/covers. The aftermarket kit being advertised for the 2015-17 will not work. I’ve contacted my dealership and was told, there is not as of yet a kit available.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I wouldn't buy from a dealer they are going to get top dollar for the kit.

Wait for the aftermarket, if you see one advertised as fitting the new front fascia, contact the seller they just might be using the old ad to sell both sets.

I don't remember exactly what I paid but I can assure you I didn't spend anywhere near 100 for all the parts I needed for the install.

I found the old post I spent $83 for the whole setup, that was the fog light and the bezels, for everything it was less than a 100.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My dealer doesn’t install accessories, they send folks to a couple of 3rd party companies in the area that are certified for installation (that won’t void any warranty). Next week I’ll call a few vendors advertising after market kits and go from there. I don’t have an issue paying extra to make sure installed correctly and physically I can’t do these types of things anymore anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2,173 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
That is a ridiculous price to pay for fog lights when all you are doing is improving the look of the car, because they really don't help much.

I would wait until the aftermarket in China gets up to speed with the new body, paying double the price for a few lights are not worth it.

·
Super Moderator
2,173 Posts
That kit is after market and $237 USd isn't that bad of a price for that mod. I know you still need the harness but,....

·
Super Moderator
2,173 Posts
That's a nice kit but the description of what you actually get in the kit isn't clear. Some pictures show the chrome bezel some an extra lamp at the bottom. So I wrote them a message asking to clarify. I will post their answer here if their translation is legible and if they answer back.

Here is their answer...

''Excluding chrome border, items include black fog lamp with angel eyes and fog lamp''

·
Registered
1 Posts
So it's been over 8 months since the last post...

Has there been any progress on adding fog lights to the MY 2017-2018 LS/LT?

I've tried searching but so far have come up empty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was told by the sales man on my 2018 Trax AWD LT that I could have fog lights installed come to find out I have to replace the whole front end for a cost of around 3000, and any after market kit will void my warranty. I am beyond pissed. Now suffering emense buyers remorse. Go to the service dept and have them run the VIN to see all of your available parts before buying

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was told by the sales man on my 2018 Trax AWD LT that I could have fog lights installed come to find out I have to replace the whole front end for a cost of around 3000, and any after market kit will void my warranty. I am beyond pissed. Now suffering emense buyers remorse. Go to the service dept and have them run the VIN to see all of your available parts before buying
Whoever told you that any after market kit will void your warranty...
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It can be done :)

Google Photo Share:
https: ^ //photos ^ .app.goo. ^ gl/XCBktwvfXUPANSqu7 ('added space+^ (shift+6 character)' need to be removed for link to work -- workaround to forum limits)

We purchased our LT 2018 back on the 4th of July. I too was amazed by the dealers lack of knowledge or willingness to help. Their suggestion was would have cost $265 for parts but a W H O P P I N G $1100 to install; they said the entire front bumper and grill must come off and the wiring would have to be specially made due to the computer's lack on knowing they (fog lights) would be installed. Nonetheless, here's what you need to do to get'r done.

Step 1: Buy a housing kit off Amazon like this one I did

(https: ^ // ^ amzn. ^ to/2KVs4Et) ('added space+^ (shift+6 character)' need to be removed for link to work -- workaround to forum limits)

for approx. $90. NOTE: all 3 vendors on Amazon sell the exact same kit but NONE are for the 2018-19 model; Chevy changed up the housing lines and these kits are 2015-17 body specific -- darn-u-Chevy. Just know, you're ONLY buying the bumper black/chrome strip weird oval light housing that the fog lights peer through... an $89 investment towards getting your fog lights.

Step 2: Hire a local stereo shop -- not to get your boom-boom on but install your funky lights :) BUT make sure they also do some auto mechanics work and/or body work -- VERY KEY to point out. Auto mechanics and body shops have access to GM OEM Parts via VIN#; the VIN# is the key, as they, GM Parts will NOT sell to you directly the right parts needed to complete the job. While you have a complete kit, the REAL parts you need are the plastic housing that holds the lights to the car body frame. As a plus, when GM ships out the right housing mechanism, you'll ALSO get the factory lights themselves!!! Then you can choose which set, Amazon aftermarket or GM Factory. My installer used the GM set, they have the boxy cut chrome shell that looks factory; Amazons shell is a smooth plastic.

I paid the installer $180 to install, $45 to diagnose that they needed GM factory parts from my VIN#, then another $65 each side for factory Fog lights ($130 total) and I purchased a nice replacement lit-toggle switch from Amazon $10, for inside the cab so you know when the lights are on. Thus, all-in-all... for all the headaches everyone is having just to get simple fog lights installed, just know that it can be done. I did it, well that is, with the help of some crafty stereo installers. And all for about $400; a skosh pricey but W E L L W O R T H I T ! ! !

Lastly... The headlights; GOD only knows why Chevy would use yellow 4000K 9005 projection headlights is beyond me? I purchased a set of Opt7 LED 9005 bulbs at Amazon 6000K to match the factory 6000K LED strip lights.
(https: ^ // ^ amzn. ^ to/2MKjDce) ('added space+^ (shift+6 character)' need to be removed for link to work -- workaround to forum limits)

And Last, Lastly... the lights that come with both fog light kits are also the yellow 4000K bulbs. To match the same LED 6000K look, I purchased, again from Amazon, a set of JDM ASTAR 5202 bulbs.
(https: ^ // ^ amzn. ^ to/2wTREkJ) ('added space+^ (shift+6 character)' need to be removed for link to work -- workaround to forum limits)

Am really sorry for not posting this all sooner, but as you can read, I tend to be long winded and I've been fretting this write up. My complete install only took 12 days from purchasing the vehicle back in July. Yes I've seen all the other posts asking for help, but selfishly, sorry again, I just kept putting it off. If you want more information or assistance, you can email me at fowlerbills (at) gmail dot com

Best of luck to EVERYONE else in their fog light endeavors :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I came here to look for advice for install, but as far as all the pricing concerns above, look at salvage yards. I work for a corporate one, and was able to find them no problem at a good price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts