Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry not meaning to hijack the original thread but it was very old and I want this discovery to get out to those who need it.
I found the problem of the fuel smell/exhaust odor in the cabin , especially when backing up or sitting and idling far a short period. I too was wondering how the smell could get into the heating system so fast after start up so I started looking for bulkhead leaks and I noticed the A/C condensate tube runs from the bottom of the heater assembly down and back towards the driveshaft tunnel. I went under the car and looked around and I found the A/C tube comes out at the top of the tunnel very near the front and behind some heat shielding, I found the end of the tube which is supposed to be like a duckbill to let water out but not air and dirt in was wide open !! It has been drawing in bad air from the exhaust where there are very minor leaks ( I did a pressure test to be sure ) and this air gets into the cabin right away and causes the odor. I took a couple of photos and I sealed it off for now and tested it and it smells no more!!! I will need to remove the seal before summer so I can run my A/C, not sure but I think replacing the tube might be the only option for a fix. I will pm the Chevy guys here as well as I am going to tell my dealer about it. I checked and tested the entire exhaust system many times and I was baffled at what the problem could be as I have been trying to solve this for almost a year, hope this helps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts