Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been having an issue with my 16 trax. Hopefully someone can help. Fuel miles remaining fluctuates at fill up from 360 to 330. Last night i filled up and it said 352 miles to fill. Drove to work, it now says 323, but i lost a hash mark on the fuel gauge. I only live 13 miles from work and it's 90% highway. Any ideas what's going on? This just started in November when it started getting cold.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Would make sense. Gas is stored around 50-55°F depending where you live. Gas will contract when it gets colder so you may fill with 12 gallons but end up with 11.5 a few hours later without driving the vehicle and the opposite is true in the summer.

Reactions: BaMa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would make sense. Gas is stored around 50-55°F depending where you live. Gas will contract when it gets colder so you may fill with 12 gallons but end up with 11.5 a few hours later without driving the vehicle and the opposite is true in the summer.
Never even would've thought about that! Thank you for the information!

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
That's why you should never overfill in the summer unless you are going to burn that gas right away. Some people ruin their evap canister that way as gas expands after filling and seaps into the charcoal.

Reactions: BaMa

·
Super Moderator
215 Posts
Actually, most gas is stored a little higher temperature than that, the BP station i used to work at was consistently between 65-70°F year round. So you're looking at a lot of contraction in sub-freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've literally never heard this before. I'm used to old cluckers, so this is very new. I so appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Actually, most gas is stored a little higher temperature than that, the BP station i used to work at was consistently between 65-70°F year round. So you're looking at a lot of contraction in sub-freezing temperatures.
For sure the further south you live the warmer the average temperature is at storage. Up here it is around 52°F ( 11°C ).

For example if you fill with 10 gallons at 59°F ( 15°C ) storage temperature and it's 0°F ( -18°C ) out you will end up with 9.58 gallons a couple hours later,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This makes so much sense. Because I've been watching my average fuel miles and it's steady at 27.7, and I've owned this car since it 10 miles. I put 6 of the original 10 miles on. But, this is the first winter I've actually driven for work, usually i don't drive. I'm so thankful that y'all have taken the time to explain it all.

·
Super Moderator
215 Posts
For sure the further south you live the warmer the average temperature is at storage. Up here it is around 52°F ( 11°C ).

For example if you fill with 10 gallons at 59°F ( 15°C ) storage temperature and it's 0°F ( -18°C ) out you will end up with 9.58 gallons a couple hours later,
True, the majority of fuel tanks around here are pretty deep in the ground and our frost layer ends a little over a meter deep. So the ambient temperature down there is definitely warmer, I just wish the weather itself was warmer today.

·
Super Moderator
215 Posts
This makes so much sense. Because I've been watching my average fuel miles and it's steady at 27.7, and I've owned this car since it 10 miles. I put 6 of the original 10 miles on. But, this is the first winter I've actually driven for work, usually i don't drive. I'm so thankful that y'all have taken the time to explain it all.
I had just filled mine up the other day, dropped it off at the house and drove my Cutlass for most of the day. When i got in the Trax later, it dropped a bar after driving about a mile. I used to laugh at the news telling people to fill up in the evening because the gas is cooler, meanwhile it's within +/- 5° F year round. That doesn't yield must change in volume during most months of the year; but in winters where there's a 40°+ change in temperature between the fuel and outside, you're going to notice that compression if you're watching the gas gauge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts