Chevy Trax Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi beeguz, yeah...I agree about the smell. I'll make an appointment foor next Monday for my Trax to see if there is anything I should be worried about. This weird smell just appears when I first turn on the car and then fades away in like about less than a minute. I just want to get someone to look at it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
What kind of smell is it, does it smell like raw gas or exhaust?

(EXHAUST SMELL) ??? If you have your heat set to bring in fresh air you might be smelling the rich exhaust fumes caused when stating a cold engine, especially if its parked inside of a garage when you start it.

On your AC/Heat controls you will see a button with an arrow that has a twist(don't know how to put it better) in it this is the recirculate button when this is pushed in and the little light is on the car recirculates the air inside the car.
This setting is great for winter because your heating up warm air from inside the car instead of pulling cold air in then heating it.

RAW GAS, Can be from the gas tank leak or gas cap not sealing properly or spilled gas, or an EVAP system, the EVAP system is supposed to reburn the gas fumes, from the gas tank, but it might be sending them out into the air maybe through a cracked plastic tube under the car, it should put a check engine light on but if the leak is small enough it might not.

The Chevy dealer can explain this better than I can, I retired out of this business before everything got so electronic this and that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have about 6,000 miles on my 2016 Trax and within the last several weeks (it has been a little bit colder out) I have noticed a fuel smell as well. It seems to occur most when it is a little colder outside and the heater is on. It has been warmer the last couple of days and I really cannot smell it now, but I have an appointment at the dealership to have it looked at next week. Has anybody found out the cause of this?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have about 6,000 miles on my 2016 Trax and within the last several weeks (it has been a little bit colder out) I have noticed a fuel smell as well. It seems to occur most when it is a little colder outside and the heater is on. It has been warmer the last couple of days and I really cannot smell it now, but I have an appointment at the dealership to have it looked at next week. Has anybody found out the cause of this?
For the time being, put your heat system on recirculate, that way your rewarming the air that is inside your car.

Most of the time what you smell is coming from the car in front of you or near your car, because the car pulls air from the outside near the windshield.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have noticed this occasionally with my 2016 Trax, and also on my 2014 Cruze. I believe it is PCV fumes. On the older cars you could remove the PCV valve from the valve cover and smell this exact type of odor. Also this would explain why if it were an odor from under the hood, it could be drawn into the vehicle through the heat or A/C vents. I know that air is drawn in through the cowl area right between the windshield and engine compartment. Hope this information helps.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree, but this was the best way to describe it. I have noticed it gradually seemed to dissipate as more miles were put on my vehicles.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the time being, put your heat system on recirculate, that way your rewarming the air that is inside your car.

Most of the time what you smell is coming from the car in front of you or near your car, because the car pulls air from the outside near the windshield.

I live in a rural area and the smell is not coming from another vehicle as my vehicle is the only one running within 1/2 mile. I have an appointment tomorrow to have it looked at and will update findings and remedies

·
Registered
772 Posts
Now that other cars have been eliminated, we know it has to be coming from your car, where its coming from will have to be found by someone working on the car.

You still should run your system on recirculate to eliminate outside air from being heated and then pushed into the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Went to the dealer. No findings or remedies. The weather is a little warmer and the smell is not there at this time; however, when it can be smelled, it is pretty bad. I guess that I'll have to bring it to them when I can smell it again.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Make sure that rear door is closed, the tail pipe fumes can easily get into the car if that door isn't fully closed

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exhaust fumes coming into my 2015 Chevy Trax also. Today it was so bad I got a headache. I have taken it to the dealership twice. They said "they have received a few trax with the same problem but cannot diagnose it". They opened a TAC number but nothing came of it. Problem seems to occur when remote start is used,when idling and short drives.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi guys, I doubt you're having the same issue I am, but I just got back my Trax yesterday, as it spend four days in the service center because it died unexpectedly on Friday. There was some really weird smell every time I turned on the heater, but I thought nothing of it since I would not smell anything after a few seconds.

As it turns out, in my case at least, a rodent had managed to break into my Trax, and was living somewhere in the wiring. It shewed it's way inside and did $625.00 worth of damage. The thing died in there and so that was the smell that was creeping into the cabin. Today I turned it on...and what do you know, NO SMELL!!!!! I was really upset as I assumed the damage was substantial, I mean...the vehicle was completely dead! The technician assured me it was minimal, and that it happens up here quite often if you don't have a handle of pests around your area (specially during this time of the year).

Well, I purchased some rodent poison last night, and am fixing to "clean" up my property by the end of next month. I'm really attached to my Trax and no pest is gonna damage my car again.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hi guys, I doubt you're having the same issue I am, but I just got back my Trax yesterday, as it spend four days in the service center because it died unexpectedly on Friday. There was some really weird smell every time I turned on the heater, but I thought nothing of it since I would not smell anything after a few seconds.

As it turns out, in my case at least, a rodent had managed to break into my Trax, and was living somewhere in the wiring. It shewed it's way inside and did $625.00 worth of damage. The thing died in there and so that was the smell that was creeping into the cabin. Today I turned it on...and what do you know, NO SMELL!!!!! I was really upset as I assumed the damage was substantial, I mean...the vehicle was completely dead! The technician assured me it was minimal, and that it happens up here quite often if you don't have a handle of pests around your area (specially during this time of the year).

Well, I purchased some rodent poison last night, and am fixing to "clean" up my property by the end of next month. I'm really attached to my Trax and no pest is gonna damage my car again.
Mice have done tons of damage to wiring and made meals of fabric in cars that have been stored.
Last year I found a nest made by field mice in my air cleaner on my lawn tractor, I left it outside last winter because I needed the space in my garage.
I normally keep it inside that was the first time I store it outdoors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi beeguz, yeah...I agree about the smell. I'll make an appointment foor next Monday for my Trax to see if there is anything I should be worried about. This weird smell just appears when I first turn on the car and then fades away in like about less than a minute. I just want to get someone to look at it.
Hello Ysandro,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing these details. I’m glad to hear that you were able to schedule an appointment to have your current Trax concerns addressed. Please feel free to send us a private message if you’d like any assistance while working with your dealership. Our team is always glad to be of assistance.

Best,
Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
59 Posts
Went to the dealer. No findings or remedies. The weather is a little warmer and the smell is not there at this time; however, when it can be smelled, it is pretty bad. I guess that I'll have to bring it to them when I can smell it again.
Hey [email protected],

I'm glad to hear that you were able to have your dealership take a look at your Trax. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us the next time you decide to take your vehicle in to be serviced. Our team is only a private message away, and we're always glad to help.

Best,
Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would have them take a look at that body vent, if that vent is stuck open you can get exhaust fumes in the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Trax that I am smelling gas inside my truck 6000 miles not happy about this. It's going in for service tomorrow this truck has been in for several recalls already not happy

21 - 40 of 82 Posts