Chevy Trax Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Karianne, please post if the dealership is able to find the problem. We have had our 2015 Trax in multiple time for weeks at a time and they could never replicate the smell so this last time we had it in they kept it for 6 weeks and still could not find it. GM was called and they said that if they could not replicate the smell then there was nothing else that they could do. I love my Trax!! I just want them to find the problem so I don't have to worry about something bad happening when I start my car.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If I had the smell with the cars system set to pull air from the outside, I would set it so the car would reheat or cool the inside air.

Both of these settings can be done using the cars heat AC control panel, check your manual to find the (Recirculate button) on your model this is the only button you need to run this experiment.

Try it one day with the Recirculate Button illuminated, the the next day with the light off on the Recirculate button.

If you get the same results with this experiment then the problem I think is in the cars body vent.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I also smell slight crankcase fumes only at idle or very low speeds when the HVAC is set to fresh air from the outside, I don't smell it when it's in recirculation mode. Under the hood everything looks ok, no leaks or disconnected hoses.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello lorribone,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing such frustrations with your Trax and do understand why this situation is concerning. Since you mentioned speaking with our Customer Assistance Center, feel free to send us the case number by direct message. We'd be happy to review it in greater detail and further document this on your behalf. Thank you for sharing your feedback and have a great evening.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
772 Posts
I also smell slight crankcase fumes only at idle or very low speeds when the HVAC is set to fresh air from the outside, I don't smell it when it's in recirculation mode. Under the hood everything looks ok, no leaks or disconnected hoses.
You shouldn't be able to smell crank case smells,its a closed system, the only place I can think of it coming from is the dip stick tube.

The dip sticks on these cars do fit loosely, it might be a good idea to try an O ring on the stick to see if it ends the problem.

I hate the smell of crank case, my new corvette after I put the catch can on it, the car had a breather on top of the dry sump it was right near the firewall right where the HAVAC picked up air.

I'm not much one for A/C so I only got the slight smell of it now and then.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That whole dip stick issue (if you want to call it that) is what i noticed on a lot of other vehicles. Too bad they don't make it click in, not that hard to do by making a slight taper.

·
Registered
772 Posts
That whole dip stick issue (if you want to call it that) is what i noticed on a lot of other vehicles. Too bad they don't make it click in, not that hard to do by making a slight taper.
You would think they would know better, its a turbo charged car, its going to be pushing pressure into the crank case.

The way is designed you can't close it off, if it had a stick tube, you could cap it off.

If I can find an expanding plug that small I could stick it in the hole and crank it wider. like these: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=74491&catid=858

Last night I went through my O ring box and found an O ring that fits the dipstick and seals the hole a little better.
The size of the O ring is: 10mm Inside D X 15mmOutside D X 2.5 (thickness)mm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil Smell and Heater

We have a 2016 Trax with 8,600 miles on it. The vehicle was returned to the dealership in November 2016 as the heater does not get warm in below zero weather. It does not matter if idling or driving on the highway for hundreds of miles. This is important as we live in MN and get some rather cold temperatures. The vehicle was left at the dealership for a week. When I picked it up, I was told this is the way the car works and nothing can be done with it as it is a design flaw, using such a small engine which does not produce enough heat to keep the inside warm. Ever since the vehicle was at the dealer, I get an odor inside the vehicle which smells like old or burnt motor oil. There are no apparent leaks (I have crawled under this vehicle several times) and the dipstick is full. Not sure what to do. Certainly do not want to bring it back to the dealer who told me the engine is too small for cold weather (the same dealer I got the vehicle from). I am still waiting for the dealership to call me back; they promised to check the heater on a new vehicle on their lot and let me know whether its heater also does not work when below 0. This was in November 2016 and I have left several messages, which have not been returned.

I would really like the vehicle if I could drive it in winter and it did not smell like a worn out 1947 Buick. I drove it last night with my wife and neighbor, the smell is really nasty (my neighbor noted that the smell reminds of him riding in his grandfather's car back in in the 1960s). Absolutely embarrassing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 Trax LTZ and the heater in mine works just fine. I live in South Dakota. Take it back and complain and write letters to GM.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have a 2016 Trax with 8,600 miles on it. The vehicle was returned to the dealership in November 2016 as the heater does not get warm in below zero weather. It does not matter if idling or driving on the highway for hundreds of miles. This is important as we live in MN and get some rather cold temperatures. The vehicle was left at the dealership for a week. When I picked it up, I was told this is the way the car works and nothing can be done with it as it is a design flaw, using such a small engine which does not produce enough heat to keep the inside warm. Ever since the vehicle was at the dealer, I get an odor inside the vehicle which smells like old or burnt motor oil. There are no apparent leaks (I have crawled under this vehicle several times) and the dipstick is full. Not sure what to do. Certainly do not want to bring it back to the dealer who told me the engine is too small for cold weather (the same dealer I got the vehicle from). I am still waiting for the dealership to call me back; they promised to check the heater on a new vehicle on their lot and let me know whether its heater also does not work when below 0. This was in November 2016 and I have left several messages, which have not been returned.

I would really like the vehicle if I could drive it in winter and it did not smell like a worn out 1947 Buick. I drove it last night with my wife and neighbor, the smell is really nasty (my neighbor noted that the smell reminds of him riding in his grandfather's car back in in the 1960s). Absolutely embarrassing.
That is the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard. Perhaps take it to another dealer and see what they say or contact corporate?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yup, best to bring it to another dealer for a check up. I don't believe it when they say that the heater doesn't work beyond a certain temperature. That's like saying Chevy doesn't expect to sell any Trax in colder climates.

·
Registered
772 Posts
What they are telling you about the Trax heater is pure bullshit.

I love heat I crave heat, I have had my Trax and my Buick so hot inside that I could barely stand it.

I would bet on your car that one of the heat control doors is not operating or is barely moving to the full open position.

The condition can either be a vacuum or electrical or just plain mechanical, the heater doors are the part of the system that control the heat and cooling into the car.

You have a dealer that just wants to sell cars he may sell cars but barely knows how to make necessary repairs.

Run don't walk to another dealer in your area, tell them and GM if the problem isn't repaired soon you will be looking into enacting the lemon law.

Do not be afraid to enact the lemon law I would check into it in your state, in most states its a free service.

·
Registered
181 Posts
When you have the HVAC set to defrost the front windshield, it automatically turns the A/C on and pulls fresh air from the outside regardless of where the A/C or Recirculate buttons are set to. The oil smell only occurs when it's pulling fresh air from the outside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I created an account just to chime in on this. I have a 2016 with almost 5k miles and I'm having the same issue. It seems to happen when the engine is re-started soon after being turned off. It's basically a full blast of gas fumes through the vents. If anybody has gotten this resolved, please let me know. I'd love to have a dealer fix the issue, but from the way this thread is sounding, we might be out of luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I created an account just to chime in on this. I have a 2016 with almost 5k miles and I'm having the same issue. It seems to happen when the engine is re-started soon after being turned off. It's basically a full blast of gas fumes through the vents. If anybody has gotten this resolved, please let me know. I'd love to have a dealer fix the issue, but from the way this thread is sounding, we might be out of luck.
Hello Eric_trax,

Welcome the forum. As I mentioned to the other members, we would be more than happy to look into this situation further. Please send us a private message it this is of interest.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
137 Posts
Regarding those with heat issues. Please check that the vent position is lined up with a pictogram. The Trax ventilation system does not operate properly when the dial is set in between positions. Not suggesting this handles all problems but the wife's is searing hot and we live on ocean front property and in the last week, we've had -10 degree celsius with close to sixty miles per hour winds coming off the Atlantic Ocean and it was red hot by the time I had de-iced it and shoveled the driveway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 Chev Trax Bad smell, Stalling and smoke

My 2015 Chev Trax started having bad smell issues last winter. (2016/2017) I received an advisory letter from General Motors Canada last Sept. 2017. The letter stated I could have ice form in the charge air cooler and/or in the crankcase ventilation components under certain driving conditions while operating the vehicle in -18 c or less. The letter stated oil odour, smoke from the tailpipe, loss of power, or hesitation; stalling may also occur if the charge air cooler becomes blocked with ice. I made my concerns known to the service manager at my dealership and after consulting with GM Canada my dealer was given the OK to perform the necessary work to fix the issue. Nov. 22, 2017 the PCV heater wiring harness , cooler and heater were replaced. On numerous occasions after the "FIX" I still smelled the oil odour. Dec 27, 2017 while driving a couple of Km.on a cold morning I smelled the dreaded oil smell. Suddenly and without warning my vehicle stalled on a bridge with another vehicle almost rear ending me. The cab of my car filled with smoke and was ultimately towed to the dealership. When the car was started in the shop it filled smoke and had a burnt smell in the cab. Paper work says moisture at PCV pipe at intake and moisture inside pipe as well as moisture contamination in cam cover. Cam cover replacement done. (hummm sounds like the same issue that was just fixed) The car was returned Dec. 28 2017 with the check engine light on. This was a result of the cam cover gasket not being installed correctly. This issue was corrected and the car returned to me. Jan 2, 2018 the check engine light came on. This time the catalytic converter needed to be replaced as well as cleaning excess oil from intercooler, air cooler piping and turbo cooler. On Jan. 3rd I started a file with GM Canada and I have an Ambassador working on my case????? The car was returned to me a week later. Feb. 12, 2017. I left home on a cold morning and a couple of blocks from home the dreaded oil smell again. I called my dealership and a tow truck picked up my car. I have been told they cannot recreate the issue and I can take my car home. I asked if it was "SAFE" to drive and the response multiple times was "we can't recreate the issue and you can take your car home. So, I sit here now waiting for it to be delivered... not knowing if it is "safe" and scared to drive it. Please if anyone else is having any of these issues, share!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Regarding those with heat issues. Please check that the vent position is lined up with a pictogram. The Trax ventilation system does not operate properly when the dial is set in between positions. Not suggesting this handles all problems but the wife's is searing hot and we live on ocean front property and in the last week, we've had -10 degree celsius with close to sixty miles per hour winds coming off the Atlantic Ocean and it was red hot by the time I had de-iced it and shoveled the driveway.
Checked mine today, it was +3°C outside and it took 12 minutes and about 11 Kms to reach operating temperature of 95°C.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts