Chevy Trax Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have this terrible burn oil smell. It happens after a drive, I shut the car off, and then come back after 15 minutes or so. Has happened since new. Today had dealer look at it, can't find nothing wrong. 16 with 8800 miles on it.

Service rep recommended I change gasoline. This is not a gasoline smell, it's burning oil. Somehow oil vapor (probably pcv) is going into the cabin.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I also have this terrible burn oil smell. It happens after a drive, I shut the car off, and then come back after 15 minutes or so. Has happened since new. Today had dealer look at it, can't find nothing wrong. 16 with 8800 miles on it.

Service rep recommended I change gasoline. This is not a gasoline smell, it's burning oil. Somehow oil vapor (probably pcv) is going into the cabin.
There's a new turbo oil feedtube version ( GM#25198546 ) that has 2 "O" rings for a better seal. These have a tendency to leak and drip on the exhaust manifold. Check if yours is leaking, you need to remove the manifold shield to see it. Or get the dealer to check this area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also am having problems with a petroleum smell. Seams like when I start and stop the smell returns. Currently Dealer has the car and is trying to find a solution. This after the first trip they said they couldn't find anything. Second trip I showed it to my salesperson. Which she has been the saving grace in this whole ordeal. The Service manager referred to a dead animal smell. so far from the smell. Its an oil or gas smell. When driving in town it gets bad enough to promote a headache. it is a lease so I figure it is a GM problem. I just rent it. Shouldn't have to deal with a smell causing headaches. hoping for a solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our 2015 Trax LTZ reeks of a very strong smell of gasoline to the point where you have to open the windows and sunroof to get it out of the car. It happens often. Took to dealer- they could not get it to do it again- that is common with any vehicle in for repairs-nobody can fix something if it is not showing the symptom when they have it.

has anyone had this issue and then finally repaired by a dealer? If so, please share. The next step is the dealer offered to keep a few days and let one of their techs drive it over several days to see if they can experience it. It is strongest on the passenger side which the dealer said is the side of the engine with all the various vapor return lines. I did learn that the quick tapping noise you hear under the hood is a normal sound produced by direct injectors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The car only has 1460 miles on it and just recently after a fill up, the car started to have heavy Gasoline smell.
Here is what the problem is in 70% of the cases:

The customer twists the cap of the fuel tank, pressing it too tightly to the filler neck, as a result of which the ratchet mechanism is triggered too early,
and the required clamping force on the fuel filler cap seal is not achieved.

In case of customer complaint about strong gas smell, it is necessary to replace the existing seal
of the fuel filler neck with a new, improved, one. When installing
the new improved seal apply silicone oil between the fuel filler cap and its mounting seat.

My translation is not the best, but gives you an idea where to look for. Check the fuel tank cap - sometimes it needs one or two clicks more to seal the tank.
Or, if it's twisted too strong, over those regular clicks, it also may leak gas.

Rest of the cases:
- Fuel tank leak through fuel pump seal or sending unit seal - 22682111 Fuel Pump Assembly Seal or 15776433 Fuel Pump Assembly Seal
- Fuel tank leak caused by a crack
- Fuel lines leaking

Rarely it is the EVAP system, usually linked to a defective fuel tank cap, vent valve, or worst case scenario, when you have troubles with the Canister Purge Valve:
Overfilling the gas tank can cause liquid gas to enter the charcoal canister, or carbon filter, which is designed only for vapor. Liquid gas in the EVAP system can affect your car’s performance by causing it to run poorly.
So, do not overfill)))

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife's 2014 Trax has had a problem with it emitting an oil vapour smell for several years now. It first started quite a while ago with a small puff of smoke from under the hood and a oily smell after about 10 minutes of driving that goes away after a minute or so.
We took it to the dealer, who said that they couldn't do anything about it unless they could replicate the problem. And if they cannot replicate it, we get a bill for their time. Explained that it would be hard to do since the problem would happen on the way to the dealership and there is no way to determine when it might occur again. They claimed they had never heard of this problem before and Chevrolet has no record of it happening either. Hoping someone has found the root cause of this and/or Chevrolet has a solution since it seems to be such a wide spread problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hoping someone has found the root cause of this and/or Chevrolet has a solution since it seems to be such a wide spread problem.
Need more details to identify the problem. Is the smell persistent?
Is it oil? Is it burnt oil?
I attached a picture with arrows indicating the most oil leaky points of this engine, have you taken a look under the hood?
The most oil leaky points are:
1. The space between the plastic valve cover and the cylinder head
2. The small oil duct on the turbo(on the picture is the old one, the new one has thermal insulation)
3. The oil filler cap, the seal weakens with the time, so it needs a new O-ring
The dealer will not help you if you don't want to help yourself. Maybe there is no problem at all?
Take a look at the engine bay, are there any oil leaks?
There shouldn't be, cause the car is still fresh. How many miles are on the odometer right now??

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone found out why their Chevy Trax has a fuel odor? Ours is doing has the smell of fuel really bad when idleing. Seems to be worse when it’s damp out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check to see if your spark plugs are property tighten!! My wife's 2015 Trax AWD had an oil smell when the heater was on around 44,000 miles. We took it into the dealer and found out it was due to the spark plugs that found their way loose. Smell reoccurred at around 55,000 miles and I cook it in for it's 50,000 - 60,000 mile scheduled maintenance (oil change, spark plugs and wires replaced, tires rotated and trans. flushed. The Trax now has 64,000 and am noticing the same oil smell with the heater on along with a tapping noise from inside the engine. It is going back to the dealer we bought it from on Monday to have these issues checked out but I am betting the smell is related to the spark plugs finding their way loose again. I am not sure on the sound though. We have been very anal on this vehicle's maintenance and have not abuse it. We have been a Ford couple but Ford didn't have the EcoSport when we bought this as a certified pre-owned last year when it had 32,500 miles. At this rate, we are going to trade it in at a Ford dealer when the power-train warranty expires at 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
WoW, I'd change dealer if they tell you a loose spark plug can give you and oil smell or tells you they changed the spark plug wires ( there are no wires on an ecotec, coils are mounted on the plug itself). Had they told you they replaced the "O" rings around the spark plug under the valve cover well I'd believe that because they can go bad. Why would they change dual iridium spark plugs rated for 100,000 miles at 55,000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, checking In on this too, love this car, but the exhaust/ burning smell is almost unbearable...I bought this on black Friday, as a CPO with the extended warranty....I will be making an appointment next weekend. This is not okay. This can't be healthy...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi and THANK YOU for your patience and help.

I am adding my voice to the chorus of people saying that there is a burnt smell. I can confirm, however, that this doesn't smell like burnt oil (I know because I have had valve cover gaskets go bad before, so I KNOW what burnt oil smells like).

I checked all the points you highlighted in the picture, but there is no evidence of leaks anywhere. Also, I stood in front of the engine for about 5 minutes with the engine running and I did not witness any smoke or leaks. Disclaimer: Never open the hood while the car is running if you are not comfortable and/or you have no mechanical skills!

It is interesting that the smell is NOT burnt oil. I also thought that it might be a mouse or some other rodent which made its way to the filter compartment or the like. However, I just replaced the cabin filter as well as the main intake filter and I did not find any evidence in there. Clean as a whistle.

Just as a reference, the smell does go away when the car is moving, which leads me to believe it is an exterior-of-the-engine-case issue. If the smell was persistent when idling as well as moving I would be inclined to believe this is an internal issue.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-HH

·
Registered
22 Posts
This thread is 2 years old now. I read the whole thing. Any resolution? Did it resolve itself? Did the owners sell or trade their Problem Trax? I see even Chevy customer service got in the thread. Several times. What happened there? I really hate it when there is no followup.

So far my 2018 is odor free. Except that new car smell.

MJT

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2016 Trax with 28000 miles. Last weekend we had The Heater on and smelt a burning plastic/rubber or chemical smell while Driving. NOT a burning Oil or fuel, or dead rodent in the vent system smell, but nauseating enough to Roll Down the Windows. At First I thought it was possibly fumes from other vehicles or roadside industries entering the air intake. But the smell filled the Cabin several times during our 45 minute drive, Each time we rolled Down the Windows to clear the air. Upon arriving Home and exiting the Trax, the smell seemed to come from the passenger side, firewall side of engine compartment. Wife is Taking Trax to dealer tomorrow. Hope the bumper to bumper warranty covers this. Oil change is overdue but level is good, and dipstick seated ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem

I have the same problem, it used to have the raw fuel smell but that went away after I replaced the plugs and the coil pack. Now it and as it did before the cabin fills with exhaust fumes when idling, fan on and does not matter if it's on recirc or not and with the windows up. I am a pretty good mechanic so I have been trying to find the problem now for almost a year, can't figure it out, but it would seem there is an exhaust leak somewhere under the hood and it is getting sucked in by the fan. I tightened the clamps on the turbo and that seemed to helped a little but I cannot sit idling for more than a couple minutes before it becomes unbearable, There is a waste gate control on the turbo and I wonder if it is leaking from the shaft? I have a 2015 Colorado and it never smells of exhaust inside the cabin, we need to get this problem solved, GM needs to do something about this, Fords were having the same problem with the police passing out at the wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I took off the heat shield in front of the turbo and while it was running I doused the waste gate shaft area on the housing with water and sure enough it is leaking exhaust, this would make sense as to why we are getting this fume smell in the cabin and it clears up when you start driving. It also makes sense the smell is eye burning because it has not gone through the catalytic converter yet, I am going to call my dealership and see what they say about this. I did inspect the entire exhaust system to be sure there were no other leaks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally got my exhaust smell fixed, as it turned out I had a cylinder misfire so I took it back in and they found antifreeze in the cylinders. The head was warped .7mm and luckily it was all covered under warranty and it has 50,000km on it. The exhaust was leaking out the head gasket and getting sucked in by the fan, took 1.5 years to figure it out. They cannot figure out why the heads are warping bit it is happening to a lot of 1.4 turbo engines , took a few weeks to get rid of the burning paint smell but now the fumes no longer come into the cabin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also read the entire thread to see if this has been resolved. I have a 2015 Trax with 39K miles on it and it is Raw Gas smell. More so upon restart. Example, I remote started the car this morning. It timed out and shut off before I got outside. I restarted the car and drove to work. (30 minutes ) Upon arrival at work I threw up and have not been right all day. It is now 3pm (7 hours later) and I am still Sick from the gas fumes. This has happened several times but I never threw up until today. All these people saying Gas smell upon restart and no one has a fix for this?
I WILL NOT drive it again until fixed.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Feeling nauseous after driving is not normal . Check and make sure you don't have anything blocking the rear vents before blaming the Builder. Vehicle exhaust is on the right side of the hatch cargo area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2014 Trax every once in a while has a VERY pungent smell. It’s coming from the
Vents. Thing is I had a 2013
Sonic with the VERY same smell coming from vents but it happened all the time! After many failed fixes Chevy considered it a lemon and I a full refund. I was pissed it started happening with my Trax. I reported it but it’s not bad enough to go through the hassle again! And no it’s not a smell coming from my garage.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts