1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2 Posts
So GM Korea is having problems negotiating for their workers and getting assistance from the South Korean government. This division is the one that builds the Chevrolet Spark, Trax, and Buick Encore for U.S. customers. There's threat of a strike and the division could file for bankruptcy. Perhaps now is a good time to buy one.

I thought the Trax was built by GM Mexico (at least for the North American markets) and GM Korea was building the Buick Encore and Mokka versions?

·
Super Moderator
2,163 Posts
Assembled in Mexico.

·
Registered
181 Posts
According to the VIN, my 2016 Trax came from Korea.
From Carfax...

The first digit in the VIN indicates the vehicle’s country of origin, or final point of assembly. Usually this is the country where the car was made, but in some European countries, it may be the country where the manufacturer is headquartered. Here are some examples:

Value Country
1,4,5 United States
2 Canada
3 Mexico
J Japan
K Korea
S UK
V France, Spain
T Switzerland
W Germany
Y Sweden/Findland
Z Italy

·
Super Moderator
2,163 Posts
My Trax was assembled in Mexico and my Encore in Korea

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
So GM Korea is having problems negotiating for their workers and getting assistance from the South Korean government. This division is the one that builds the Chevrolet Spark, Trax, and Buick Encore for U.S. customers. There's threat of a strike and the division could file for bankruptcy. Perhaps now is a good time to buy one.

I thought the Trax was built by GM Mexico (at least for the North American markets) and GM Korea was building the Buick Encore and Mokka versions?
Our new 2018 Trax LT was assembled in Mexico. The engine was built in Austria.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts