Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ran wire or coax around the airbags? I need to install an antenna and would like to put it in the center of the roof to have a good ground plane. Thanks

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
You should not and don't need to get your coax close to the air bag systems. I don't have time to discuss this now. but PM me with your current plan and we can discuss it.

Skip

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
This thread already has 34 views. I don't want to seem rude here SkipD, it's just that if you answer through a PM others on here with the same question won't benefit or have a solution and will be asking this same question next week. I'm just saying, keeping it on forum has always worked best for me. Unless you were planning on doing a cut and paste to this thread with your reply, then I'm sorry for budding in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My current plan was to take out the dome light and install an NMO mount through the roof, running the coax down one of the pillars and mounting the radio in the back or under one of the seats (radio has a detachable face). There appears to be quite a number of airbags to go around. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping someone has done something similar. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, anybody have experience running wire from the battery inside the vehicle? Maybe a certain place in the firewall?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Drivers side foot box, half way up the fire wall ( I think to the left of the steering column ) is a rubber grommet. You can punch though that with no issues. The grommet is black. You can also access this from inside the engine bay below the master cylinder. It is a pain to get to but it can be done. I run my wiring for my Yeasu 2M / 70cm that way.

The antenna coax can be run up the door seal. On the inside I pulled the lip back and snaked it up to the roof.

As for mounting through the roof at the dome light. You might need to pull the headliner.

I keep my radio under the passenger seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts