Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger front glass exploded for no apparent reason. Was sitting getting ready to turn right at a three way road and bang all inside and outside the car. No one was around and no other vehicles for at least 50 yards as it was an open area. It was cold about 35 degrees and defroster was on full blast. Took to dealership and they first rejected it and said vandalism and wanted us to use our insurance. We just bought the vehicle two weeks ago and now this. After talking to dealership owner and general motors the dealership is replacing the glass under warranty. It was ordered monday and should be here friday. This has me concerned about the rest of the windows. The trax only has 1019 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
Probably a freak incident, I wouldn't worry too much. These glass are mass produced and laser inspected for possible flaws but it doesn't mean a bad one can't slip by. ( Even if you didn't see some punk with a pellet gun doesn't mean he wasn't there either ) I'm just glad your dealer came to his senses and decided to replace it, hope he also seated you in a rental while you wait.

Reactions: marklord

·
Registered
772 Posts
Tempered glass is weird stuff,on a corvette that I knew of it belonged to a friend, she had her back window explode while sitting at a stop light.(this is one of the early models(82) with the lifting rear glass.

They found that, one of the bolts for the gas struts that hold the widow when open, had been touching the glass over a 3 year period.

This bolt is normally isolated, but the hole may have been made off center, so the bolt touched the edge of the glass.

I do believe the same thing happened to your car, a bolt was touching the glass, then the glass said enough already and exploded.

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
The Trax passenger door glass has no holes in it and is secured in the bottom rail with adhesive.

GM# (25993406)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no loaner . she is driving around in 20 to 30 degree weather with collision tape saran wrap like stuff

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
Well you sure don't have the same GM dealers that we have here, when my first Encore was waiting for parts they seated me in a new Verano for 4 days when my Buick Encore only had a check engine light waiting for a cat back exhaust. Secondly if not having a side glass would would fail vehicle inspection they should not have let her leave with the Trax. I don't know the laws in your state.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts