Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that there are software issues with the GM 7-inch screen IOR infotainment system used in the 2019 and 2020 model year Trax and many other models. As a result of these issues, a class-action lawsuit has been initiated against GM. Here is a link to a GM Authority article on some of the issues and the resulting lawsuit: General Motors Facing Class Action Suit Over Alleged Infotainment Issues
I suspect that software issues with this system are responsible for the problems I am having with my 2020 Trax LT, most frequently the "Remote Left in Vehicle Alert" sounding (including the very annoying three-blast horn "salute") even though this feature has been turned off in the appropriate infotainment system menu. I have also had the sound system turn itself on at top volume when the back-up camera came on after shifting into reverse to park in my driveway, and also had my Trax slow to a stop after the presence of my remote was somehow not detected anymore, despite it having a good battery and being in the same pocket as it always is.
I had my vehicle in to the dealership where I purchased it yesterday to have an oil change done and to have the problems looked at. They brought in a similar Trax which they had on the lot to see if it had the same issues, but it's battery was dead and they had to charge it. They say they are going to look into it further. We will see.
I notice that my Trax will not stay reliably connected to my home's WiFi network unless I go into the "Wi-Fi Networks" menu in the infotainment system and manually set it to connect to that network. If it connects to it automatically it disconnects and then re-connects often. My home network is set to be the first WiFi network my Trax connects to. I don't know what this means for it being able to detect and download any software updates. I also notice that when my Trax is turned off and the vehicle locked, it disconnects from my WiFi network (determined by the vehicle disappearing from my router's client list). Is this normal behavior? Does the Trax rely only upon the 4G LTE WWAN connection to detect and download updates? I haven't been able to find any information on this so far. I am becoming very frustrated with this vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my 2019 Trax LT AWD's infotainment system malfunction. The dealer looked it over and contacted tech support who confirmed that the unit is faulty and needs to be replaced. Both the tech support person and then the Service Manager approved ordering a new system and they told me I was number 24-26 in the country to get one, if one becomes available. I was hoping they would just take one out of a car on the lot, but they won't do that. I got frustrated and vented to the Chevrolet Facebook page and someone there hopped on it to get it off the feed. Well they contacted the dealer and was asking if I had an appointment scheduled for replacement. I told them no because I didn't have a new radio waiting for my Trax at the dealer. So they are doing stuff behind the scene's to accomplish something.

Has anyone else have this problem and how long did it take to get a new head unit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The service manager at my local dealership contacted me earlier this week, said they were told by GM that an Impala had a similar issue to mine which was due to the Body Control Module malfunctioning. A new one is on order, when it arrives they will schedule a time to come in and get it replaced. I hope it solves the problem, but we will see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely agree with you on that. I got my new system last week and the only lingering problem was issues with CarPlay. I think I fixed that though. I had apple music downloaded to my iPhone in Lostless format, I think the much larger files made my iPhone unstable via CarPlay. So I deleted all of the music and reset my file format to CD+ quality. That didn't fix it all but I did notice that it would act up either in CarPlay or regular GM audio player bluetooth connections. If you set your bluetooth iPhone or apple whatever to not be automatically connected and then just use the USB cable, CarPlay works fine for me. If you have the radio linked to the Apple device and via USB, the system acts up. So I put my bluetooth as 'not automatically linked' and it seems to work ok now- also make sure Siri is fully activated. Good luck to anyone dealing with just CarPlay issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With my 2020 LT, making and receiving calls as well as playing music works via Bluetooth, but not Android Auto. For that I have to have my phone plugged in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts