Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally a non starter except for the fact that GM Korea is responsible for the Spark, Sonic, Cruze ANDDDDDDDDD the TRAX...

Reuters reports 69 percent of the 14,016-strong workforce voted to put down their tools and walk out for the fourth consecutive year unless a deal is reached between the workers’ union and management over a change in GM Korea’s 60-year-old wage scheme along with a production increase. A representative for the union claimed that “both sides remain committed to reaching a fair and reasonable labour agreement based on mutual trust and understanding,” however.
Although this is an annual thing ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I hear about strikes in Korea a lot. Seems like they just have that culture there.

I think it is one thing to ask for a pay increase, but I think it is odd for a union to demand that production increase. That decision has to do with so much more than the workers in the factory. They can't just decide to build more cars because the workers want them to.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I hear about strikes in Korea a lot. Seems like they just have that culture there.

I think it is one thing to ask for a pay increase, but I think it is odd for a union to demand that production increase. That decision has to do with so much more than the workers in the factory. They can't just decide to build more cars because the workers want them to.
unfortunately people don't get that, instead they just know they want to work more hours and that the factory needs to produce more to make that happen.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Agreed, what they want are locked in promises of annual growth essentially. Foolish yes, but GM did lay off a hugh chunck of workers there not so long ago based on falling demand, so I can see where they're trying to come from (not that it makes sense)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yea I understand where they are coming from, but that is simply not the way the world works. How can you guarantee them what world demand will be for the vehicles they produce.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yea I understand where they are coming from, but that is simply not the way the world works. How can you guarantee them what world demand will be for the vehicles they produce.
all they can really do is go with the flow, as with a lot of things like their job, it's not guaranteed

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think the stock market might want a word for you. Essentially its all bought and sold on expected growth across whatever metric gets you off.

I don't think they want a guarantee on demand, they want a guarantee that production will grow. Those are actually two distinct metrics, for a LONG time automotive supply has been relatively decoupled from demand, its actualyl a form of growth for them.

Sales are booked when vehicles are bought by dealers, its called channel stuffing. Plus the more you build the more you save ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts