Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone run a CB or Ham radio in their Trax. I run both now that I have my Technician license, KE8JLG. I had been running a $35 Cobra with a Lil Wil magnet mount antenna. I upgraded that with a Cobra 29LTD, takes up more room, and found out this radio didn't like the 2 Meter magnet mount on the roof with it. The Ham radio is a Yaesu FT-7900. The CB threw a fit and the antenna fault light would come on and the standing wave meter pegged on the meter. I chatted with another Ham and gave him the rundown and he informed me the 2M antenna was reflecting the signal back causing the fault. To test this I took the 2M off the roof and and tested the SW on the CB, dang, problem fixed. So to run the CB with the 2M on the roof I had to relocate and change the CB to a whip on the rear hatch. I was informed the CB ant needed to be lower than the 2M, thats why the hatch was used. Now this caused another issue, grounding. After testing the hatch with a multi-meter I discovered the hatch has very poor grounding. So I had to ground the whip mount via a grounding wire directly to the hatch and then I had to ground the hatch via grounding wire to the body. That fixed that issue. Now the CB plays nice with the 2 Meter.

I will post pics if anyone is interested. It's never too late to learn something new...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Does your CB have an antenna SWR meter function built in? If not find or borrow an SWR meter and trim the coax (or antenna) for as close to a 1:1 match as possible on channels 1 and 40. The better antennas are not the cheap ones.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your CB have an antenna SWR meter function built in? If not find or borrow an SWR meter and trim the coax (or antenna) for as close to a 1:1 match as possible on channels 1 and 40. The better antennas are not the cheap ones.
The CB has the built in SW Meter and I also have a separate SW meter for testing. I also have a 2 Meter SW test Meter. The CB ant is now the adjustable FireStick . Its position in the left rear corner is a compromise and I know it is not ideal. The CB is for relatively close proximity comms for highway travel. A < = 2 SW, is acceptable. On channel 19 its 1.7 .

I'm happy that I found a compromise with no serious noise issues or airbags going off. LOL ....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm trying to decide where to put an antenna for a 2m/70cm dual bander. My first choice would be an NMO mount in the center of the roof. I just can't figure out the best way to get the coax around the airbags. Any suggestions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts