Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a used 2016 AWD Trax LT, and I think it's a neat little car that handles really well - you can toss it around through corners like a little sports car, and it responds with aplomb. Does anyone here find it curious that reviews out there uniformly state that the card handles poorly and/or that it can't take corners well? Seems like those reviews might have been made by people who actually didn't spend any time in the Trax.

Just curious about your thoughts on the differences between reviews and reality.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 2019 AWD LT myself and absolutely love it, even with the opinions of ”reviewers” and their attempts to dissuade me from buying one. It fits my needs for a family of four, it's primarily used for city driving, which is where it truly excels; but even on the highway at speeds approaching 80+ mph, it handled the road just fine.

Every review I saw kept saying "too much body roll, not enough power for merging, takes too long to get to 60 mph, it's just not exciting". I call BS on all of that, because I had absolutely zero issues with mine, unless I bought the best one they ever produced. No issues with merging, I had the cruise control set at 75 or higher for about 80% of a 670 miles round-trip to and from Philadelphia, I wonder if they even drove it fast enough to get the turbo to actually make the boost be felt performance wise, and even the windiest of roads along the way didn't feel the Trax even broke a sweat.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I find it handles and rides better than my Cobalts. MPG is great and you can park this thing anywhere. I like both my Trax and the Encore but have more fun with the Trax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for confirming this. I also drive a BMW, and I want to say that, while there is no comparison acceleration-wise (any BMW has way more acceleration than anyone actually needs), the handling may be 80% of the way there. I continue to be very surprised by how well the Trax handles.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The biggest complaint I kept hearing is there was no feel in the steering, since it's electronic controlled it feels numb. In my experience, I think what they're missing is that little bit of lateral play in the steering, which you get from the design of the long used rack and pinion systems. The Trax is a very point and go type of steering system, whereas the moment you start turning the wheel is exactly when your wheels start turning.

That lack of lateral play may give some a sense of anxiety because they don't feel like they have complete control over the steering, meanwhile I appreciate not having to habitually adjust the wheel left and right when I'm not on a curved road. I'm actually surprised on a regular basis at how maneuverable it is with tight u-turns sliding through narrow construction zones with ease.

If there's any one thing I would like to have on the Trax, it would be how it takes certain bumps in the road when braking. At times it can cause a feeling of the ABS taking over, and you can feel the vibration through the pedal. It may just be a consequence of the short wheel base, making it more noticeable than on my Dad's Equinox but other than that I have no complaints.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trax be nimble, Trax be quick, Trax jumped over the candlestick. Everything you guys said is truthful. Just turned in a 2018 Trax lease and purchased a brand new 2020 redline edition. Chevy Trax is the car of the future.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Traction Control

If there's any one thing I would like to have on the Trax, it would be how it takes certain bumps in the road when braking. At times it can cause a feeling of the ABS taking over, and you can feel the vibration through the pedal. It may just be a consequence of the short wheel base, making it more noticeable than on my Dad's Equinox but other than that I have no complaints.
What you may be feeling is the traction control kicking in and activating the rear differential because you are getting air and lock-up of one of the front wheels. There's one place I hit where there's a funny multiple bump in a turn where my Trax activates every time when I'm braking and it's a weird noise and feeling at the wheel. When I take this same spot with the Encore I get nothing like this because it's front wheel drive only, I still feel the funny bump but none of the TC noise. Next time watch for the TC light...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think you are right about the traction control, when I ran out for lunch I decided to turn it off and drive over the section of road that I normally get the feeling and suddenly it was practically gone. It's gotta be either that or possibly the Stabilitrac system engagement, I may try turning that off also and see if that works but I know it will probably reengage automatically after that section of road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder if they even drove it fast enough to get the turbo to actually make the boost be felt performance wise, and even the windiest of roads along the way didn't feel the Trax even broke a sweat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an interesting commute. I drive 50 miles one way to work. Home is at 3700 feet. Work is at 250 feet. That 50 mile commute is 30 miles mountain twisty, with about 20 miles highway. I drive very aggressive, (10-20 over the speed limit is pretty common). Even with this drive I still average between 27-28 MPG. I cannot complain about the mileage and I am constantly passing people on my commute where it is legal(ish). I am very happy with the performance (some hills I hit 4000 rpm going home) and handling. Not looking forward to the snowy drive soon.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
>:DThat which does not kill me had better start running.>:D

The way you drive, you might take care of this yourself. Read my slogan!!!

:DNever drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
My trip to Philadelphia was awesome being able to open the Trax up on the highway for it's first real run. Winding single lanes, 80+ highway speeds, passing sports cars like they're parked, it was a fun ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Trax really is a fun car to drive. You can push it without any sudden sliding out, it goes into an easy under steer if you get too close to its limits. Not like my old MR2 that felt perfectly stable then suddenly the rear end is going faster than the front end. As far as handling and not straight line power I think in the corners I can keep up with the patrol cars going to a call the other day. Really surprised some of my co workers LOL. I think it would be a blast to take out on an autocross circuit. Oh, and I have the 18'' rims and it does make a difference. The shorter sidewalls don't flex and "snap" like the stock 16"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmm I guess I need to leave for work earlier and slow down some. I installed the Life360 app the other day. I looked at my top speed for my commute. Sunday, 95 mph. Monday 80 mph and today, 88 mph. I know I was running late on Sunday and I was aware I was "pushing" it. But Mon and today I didn't feel like I was pushing the limits at all. I am convinced within a year or two I will be able to report how the trax holds up against a deer or other animal.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Physics 101 will show you that it takes 4 times the distance to stop at twice the speed without mentioning reaction time for your brain to tell your foot to move from gas pedal to the brake pedal. You may save a deer's life but in the case of a moose you may save your own and your passengers. I see these people all the time that want to be where they are going before they leave the house. Had one pass me this morning in a big white GMC pickup, he must have been going 140+ km/h. 5 kilometers later we were sitting side by side at the Shediac road intersection traffic light, I then went on to get ahead of him because my lane that was turning right was moving faster. So he burnt all that extra fuel for nothing. If everybody would follow the speed limits we might not need electric cars and maybe gasoline would still be $1 a gallon. But today's generation is always in a hurry especially behind the wheel. My street is a 30 mph posted speed limit and nobody goes by under 60 mph. In the winter when they crash their cars they blame the weather or the city for not salting, but it's never because they were driving to fast for existing conditions, oh no never!!!

My Trax hits 6ₜₕ gear at 70 km/h (≈45mph), that is the speed at which it is most efficient. From there efficiency drops exponentially. 7l/100k ( 34mpgUS )at 70km/h and 10.5l/100k ( 22.4mpgUS ) at 140km/h (≈90mph). It's just money out the pipe in my opinion.

And since this is the handling thread, it handles a lot better at 45mph than it does at 90mph guaranteed...

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Trax does not have electric power steering nor traction control or stability control. It does have ABS and newer 215 65 R 16 tires. It handles and stops like a dream. It doesn't have the turbo 1.4 but instead has the 1.8 engine which is extremely responsive...no turbo lag and no mechanical problems either. It is just a driver's car and does what I need it to do. I live in a mountainous area of Mexico with bad roads so, though I'm tempted to really zip through the curves, there could be a cow around the next bend and no shoulder for escape...plus potholes you could get lost in!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts