Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To answer your question, my trax is a 2016 trax LT Awd, I had a few minor mods, intake and catless downpipe. The piston fractured at 90,000 kms. Many people will say my mods probably did this, but there is actually a GM bulletin on LUV 1.4l pistons cracking, so its known to happen and that's on a stock vehicle. If interested look up bulletin 19-NA-090

I am a GM tech and get a good price on parts so decided to replace a bunch of components known to fail on these cars while it's all apart, so far my parts list includes:
-front cover gasket
-cam phaser bolts
-engine oil cooler
-turbo coolant inlet and outlet pipes
-oil feed pipe to turbo

Still researching headgasket, pistons and fasteners. I can get all OEM parts but I am willing to strengthen the engine up a bit and add more boost 😉

·
Administrator
2,734 Posts
One of my friends had his waste gate stick closed and he blew all the rings in the oil pan including a lot of piston shrapnel. lol

Reactions: Greenghost28

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks @Trax123321.
it seems many of the stock GM boosted engines can do this. Personally, I’m studying the care and feeding of a LTG. Just a wee bit bigger than your 2016 Trax. And what I may have to look forward to now that it has 35k miles on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update for anyone that cares. Ordered a set of zzp diamond pistons- stock bore. Been picking at it here and there checking ring clearances and assembling pistons. Should be back together this Saturday

1 - 9 of 9 Posts