Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ditto title

Has anyone ever imported a Canadian Trax manual transmission car to the USA?

I know that some manufacturers will give a compliance sticker so you can bring it in through Minnesota.

I have an aged 5mt Cobalt that needs replacement and a little trax would work.

my own personal requirement is to never own another automatic again unless it’s a plug in hybrid, sadly the state is **** bent on taxing those out of the market so stick it is.

let me know if anyone has ever gone this route.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Personally, I'd like to get the 1.8L NA version from Mexico with the manual transmission.
Agree 100%
NA engines are 1000000x more reliable but I bet that getting a Canadian Trax that is 100% identical in every way to the US one imported
is unpossible
let alone getting a Mexican one that has the obsolete eco tech 1.8.

and all this just because of a sticker.

Who ever made the grey market laws in the 80’s should have been shot.

what’s funny is every used Trax at northern Minnesota dealerships are Canadian but regular mortals gotta jump through a million hoops

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I take it of the roughly 50,000 used vehicles imported to the US from Canada each year due to the Minnesota loophole no one here has ever bought one?

surely someone has accidentally got a vehicle that started life in Canada?

·
Super Moderator
323 Posts
Mine was brand new, built in South Korea for the U.S.. Which coincidentally didn't have the control arm recall issue that they had on the Mexico built models.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ditto title

Has anyone ever imported a Canadian Trax manual transmission car to the USA?

I know that some manufacturers will give a compliance sticker so you can bring it in through Minnesota.

I have an aged 5mt Cobalt that needs replacement and a little trax would work.

my own personal requirement is to never own another automatic again unless it’s a plug in hybrid, sadly the state is **** bent on taxing those out of the market so stick it is.

let me know if anyone has ever gone this route.
Probably not worth your while. GM stopped offering the manual transmission with A/C after 2016. Might have better luck on the Mexican market???

·
Registered
137 Posts
Agree 100%
NA engines are 1000000x more reliable but I bet that getting a Canadian Trax that is 100% identical in every way to the US one imported
is unpossible
let alone getting a Mexican one that has the obsolete eco tech 1.8.

and all this just because of a sticker.

Who ever made the grey market laws in the 80’s should have been shot.

what’s funny is every used Trax at northern Minnesota dealerships are Canadian but regular mortals gotta jump through a million hoops
Before the Trax, we owned two Saturn Astra coupes, both purchased new at the time of Saturn's demise with the 1.8 Ecotec, our son still drives one of the two, the other was the trade-in for the Trax. I can say with full assurance that the 1.8 Ecotec is anything but reliable both have had some serious valve timing mechanism failures at around 60 000 miles, both also developed issues with external oil cooler lines allowing oil to contaminate engine coolant another potential catastrophic issue along with other less serious issues like flex pipe at the exhaust manifold. For all this, they are terribly underpowered at low RPM and extremely noisy. Which is a shame because the Astra was the most overbuilt small car I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably not worth your while. GM stopped offering the manual transmission with A/C after 2016. Might have better luck on the Mexican market???
Not allowed I’m afraid, despite appearances of the NAFTA agreement only cars from Canada are remotely possible and that’s only if Chevy voluntarily provides a letter/sticker of conformance
Which is easiest to get if a dealer already imported a Canadian car,
For an individual it’s basically unpossible

1 - 8 of 8 Posts