Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new 2016 trax LS owner. I was wondering is it possible to install an electrical plug in the back like the LT models have? I noticed there was a blank off panel for it and just curious if it is wired for it underneath?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I doubt it if its wired for one, there would have to be an inverter somewhere in the car, I don't think GM would bother putting in inverters in cars where they are not needed.

You could buy an aftermarket inverter wire it in, or plug it into the power port.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Are you talking about a 12V accessory plug or a 120VAC plug for house hold stuff?

Pop the cover off and see whats there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I asked the dealer about putting an accessory outlet there, not the optional 120v AC but a 12v DC type. They looked into it and said their techs weren't comfortable doing that. They said it would need a modified wiring harness and was not sure if it would cause problems with the electronics. When I find a wiring schematic I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Just make sure you buy a quality inverter, I think CTek is a good brand. Spending the extra to get something good could prevent overheating and even a potential fire. Then smaller things like doing away with poor power output.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I advise running a separate dedicated circuit with a breaker at the battery. Get an inverter with twice the capacity you think you may need or want. Inverters throw heat, it should be in a large space or ventilated.
Any common auto electric shop can do it if you don't want to snake the wires around... that is not something I like to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts