Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw online today that Kia is planning to sell 5,000 units of its Soul EVs globally each year. That must mean that there is a sizable market for EVs of this size and in this price category. I'm not exactly sure how much Kia will be selling its Soul EV for.

Apparently the US is the largest EV market in the world. Combined with government incentives and stricter emissions standards, the Soul EV should be a success.

Do the same things that would make the Kia Soul EV a success, make a Chevy Trax EV a likely product?

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/kia-targets-to-sell-5000-soul-evs-globally-a-year/

·
Registered
263 Posts
5000 units globally is not in any way shape or form a sizeable market. I mean we're talking about a world market that produces 60 million cars annually (2012)...

Although the platform is there from the Spark EV... But there is very little incentive to do so I would say as the TRAX is already fuel efficient enough, just drive easy not like Ralf Schumacher (Michaels too good for the rickey racers ;))

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just look at the Kia Soul EV coming out and figure there must be a market for a Trax EV. Sure its already fuel efficient, but I still think that many people would pay extra for it to be even more fuel efficient, and for the convenience of not having to fill up with gas as often.

·
Registered
263 Posts
they've never sold one ;) Ok maybe one. They just went on sale in Korea mid April, wont even be in US till end of summer. I'm more interested in what Hyundai will be doing with Hydrogen.

You can't just say people will pay more based on arbitrary feelings, why for the touchy feely good time of lying to yourself about bettering the planet, HA.

You have to calculate a pay back on it. Average Hybrid premium is $7-10K, average EV premium is $15-20K thats a VERY long payback period, and one that might not even be met as the batteries begin to degenerate the minute you charge it the first time.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess one piece of information that we are missing is what the Soul EV will cost. Maybe they have figured out a way to keep the premium cost down. That would make sense since the Soul is targeted towards younger people who aren't going to want to pay a hefty amount extra for the hybrid model.

·
Registered
745 Posts
From how it's looking, I doubt it will pick up speed any time, Hybrid and All Electric systems will be the new thing on a mass scale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts