Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I would do a bit more of an in-depth comparison between the Chevy Trax and the Kia Soul. We will start with a comparison of the exterior and interiors of the vehicles, and then we will move on to compare the specifications of each vehicle. Last I'll give my final thoughts.

Exteriors

The Chevy Trax and the Kia Soul differ quite a bit from each other on the outside. The Kia Soul is a bit more boxy, but overall it is pretty unique in the segment. Compared to the Chevy Trax I would say the Soul looks more youthful and playful. For many the Soul is too playful though, and the more refined and serious looks of the Trax will be more appealing.

Interior

Moving to the interior of these vehicles, I think that the clear winner here is the Trax. The Trax had a very similar interior to the more luxurious Buick Encore. The design is basically the same, it just has a few less features. Compared to the Soul's interior, the Trax looks more expensive and elegant. The Soul's interior looks a bit cheap since it only uses black plastic, and there just isn't as much design to the dash.

Specs

Chevy Trax
Engine: ECOTEC 1.4L I-4 turbo VVT (Variable Valve Timing)
Horsepower: 138 hp
Torque: 148 lb-ft
Est. MPG: 35.0 / 48.0 / 40.0 (for the FWD Automatic model)
Transmission: Six-speed transverse, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transmission
Cargo Volume: 18.7 cu. ft. seats up, 48.4 cu. ft. seats down

Kia Soul
Engine: 1.6L I-4 DOHC Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) (Base Model)
Horsepower: 130 hp
Torque: 118 lb-ft
Est. MPG: 24/30 (Automatic Transmission)
Transmission:6-speed manual
Cargo Volume: 24.2 cu. ft. without under tray, 18.8 cu. ft. with under tray

The two vehicles are pretty similar as far as how they drive with the Trax edging out the Soul by a bit. You'll get a bit more power, torque, cargo volume and fuel efficiency if you go with the Trax. There are other drivetrains available for both models too, so these specs can change depending on that.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I like both, they look much more appealing to me than the Honda HRV, which is apparently coming to the states.

Kia Soul is popular as ever and likely Kia own this segment right now, going to be interesting to see how well the trax can do and if it can overtake it.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Not bad at all, good numbers, better than what i expected. Thanks for finding and pulling up that information

·
Registered
44 Posts
canadian markets and us markets arent really directly comparable

certain cars sell better in canada then the us

especially small cars

·
Registered
263 Posts

especially small cars
Ok but that doesnt change the fact that the two will relate to each other percentage wise. If I scaled the Canadian numbers to represent the US numbers based on a scaling of the SOuls Candian figure to the US figure, yes there would be a problem.

Don't get caught up in the fact that its CANADIAN numbers, its about the cars.

For reference in Europe the TRAX in Daewoo and Chevrolet trims out sold the Soul 17,658 to 3,202. But the soul has really fallen off a cliff from its debut year of 20,169... So 2009 was the souls first year in europe and they moved 20K, the TRAX's debut and only year they moved 17K. So to compare debut volumes, the TRAX sold at 17% of the Souls volume.

Consistent I would say...

·
Registered
745 Posts

especially small cars
that is true, something to keep in mind, is there another market that is similar to the canadian market in some ways?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ok but that doesnt change the fact that the two will relate to each other percentage wise. If I scaled the Canadian numbers to represent the US numbers based on a scaling of the SOuls Candian figure to the US figure, yes there would be a problem.

Don't get caught up in the fact that its CANADIAN numbers, its about the cars.

For reference in Europe the TRAX in Daewoo and Chevrolet trims out sold the Soul 17,658 to 3,202. But the soul has really fallen off a cliff from its debut year of 20,169... So 2009 was the souls first year in europe and they moved 20K, the TRAX's debut and only year they moved 17K. So to compare debut volumes, the TRAX sold at 17% of the Souls volume.

Consistent I would say...
should say 87%

For reference in Europe the TRAX in Daewoo and Chevrolet trims out sold the Soul 17,658 to 3,202. But the soul has really fallen off a cliff from its debut year of 20,169... So 2009 was the souls first year in europe and they moved 20K, the TRAX's debut and only year they moved 17K. So to compare debut volumes, the TRAX sold at 87% of the Souls volume.

·
Registered
745 Posts
am i the only one who thinks the souls tail lights are ugly as heck
I also think they look horrible, but it could be worse to be honest. Overall im not a big fan of their designs but a lot of people seem to love it. They do well enough to make the sales they are.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think the TRAX looks far more elegant as the Encore or the Mokka in Europe. The soul has always been a bit bug ugly in my opinion. Probably why I've never considered it ;)

Its tough to do great design in this segment. the tall ride and roof heights and compact length/width always make it tough to escape that awkward squashed box look. The only one IMO that escapes this is the Juke...

·
Registered
745 Posts
For a Chevy the Trax is what I would expect it to look like, not amazing not disappointing, but just right for what it is. Still prefer some elements of the Encore over it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
At least they seem to be getting things right and making use of our hard earned dollars that bailed them out, too bad we had to hold their hand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts