Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just bought my 2021 Trax in early June this year. A couple days ago I read this article 2021 Chevy Trax Unexpectedly Adopts New, More-Powerful Engine which states that the 2021 Trax changes to use the 1.4L I4 LE2 engine in place of the old 1.4L I4 LUV. However, it also says that "The change is taking place roughly a third of the way through the 2021 model year." Apparently, there are some 2021 Trax using the old LUV, and some using the new LE2.

So, my question is how can I tell which engine my Trax is using? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello all, I just bought my 2021 Trax in early June this year. A couple days ago I read this article 2021 Chevy Trax Unexpectedly Adopts New, More-Powerful Engine which states that the 2021 Trax changes to use the 1.4L I4 LE2 engine in place of the old 1.4L I4 LUV. However, it also says that "The change is taking place roughly a third of the way through the 2021 model year." Apparently, there are some 2021 Trax using the old LUV, and some using the new LE2.

So, my question is how can I tell which engine my Trax is using? Thank you in advance!
Vin decoder is probably the easiest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Vin decoder is probably the easiest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I don't think VIN decoder would show the specific engine model of each car. It looks like they just pull the general info on the engine model based on the model and year. I have tried several new Trax's VINs that are currently on sale, and all of them return the LUV model, which I think would not be the case.

I asked Chevrolet about his, they said that if the 8th digit of the VIN is B then the engine is LUV.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
The VIN is the bible and will show which engine you have. As you can see in my VINs both of mine have a "B" as the 8ᵗʰ digit therefore "LUV" engine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The new engine is the LE2 1.4. Gm says it was introduced mid year. Dont know the details. I saw a 2021 Trax at a dealership that had an M for the 8th number. The LE2 was used in the Buick Encore as early as 2016.

From GM
The 2021 Chevy Trax initially offered the same turbocharged 1.4L LUV I4 as the 2020 model. However, the unit was replaced mid-year by the newer 1.4 LE2 I4, which is also turbocharged. Available with an engine block heater, the LE2 is rated at 155 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque compared to the LUV’s 138 horsepower and 148 pound-feet of torque.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts