Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my birthday last April I decided to replace the MyLink radio in my 2016 Trax.

I knew buying from China had it's problems like 11 hours difference which makes communication complicated plus Chinglish is really hard to understand but I'm retired and figured this would be a nice project for me. Knowing ahead of time that I would be losing the outside OEM temperature probe I was hoping I'd gain more than I would lose. Then it displays local GPS temperatures.

So decide to take a chance on the "Dasaita 2 din Android 8.0 Car GPS radio for Chevrolet Trax 2013-2016 Stereo Multimedia player with Octa core 4GB Ram+32GB rom" so ordered this from AliExpress ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9-inch-Octa-core-2-din-Android-6-0-Car-GPS-player-for-Chevrolet-Chevrolet-Trax/32811951068.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dc6rLem )

Price was decent and description said plug&play. So paid these guys, as soon as they shipped the radio I knew I was in for the long haul when I saw "" 1 sold 249 available"" which meant I was the first one to buy one of these. Anyways, this is going to be long and I'll try to shorten the story.

3 days later I get a message from the seller saying that the unit has been tested and all works since it was going a long distance. Fine, 3 days later the radio get's delivered via DHL, Paid $56.07 extra for customs and taxes which is okay. I open the box all excited to install my new plug&play radio and I discover they sent the wrong harness. I make mistakes too, the Technician didn't have a Trax to test it with so he test the radio on a KIA then when he closed and packaged everything up he put the KIA harness kit in the box instead of the GM kit. :(

So I email the supplier and he wants a picture because nobody can believe that they sent the wrong harness on the first order when everybody was being so careful. So sent them picture....

They quickly respond by sending me the GM power harness not realizing that the whole kit was wrong, not just the power harness. So a week or so later after being held at customs for who knows what reason I receive the power cable. Well now I can power the radio but I have no chimes no radio because I'm missing the GM antenna adapter and the USB adapter. So email them again to mention my disappointment and he's confused as to why these are missing. Sends me the cables he thinks are missing and I get them this time 3 weeks delay ( customs not suppliers fault ) So I receive these cables and proceed to hook up my radio for a third time. Great, I have radio and music, USB.

But no chimes and no backup camera. So email Danny Zhu again, he was going to get back to me for the backup camera but I figured it out. Camera comes in on pin 7&8

so I took KIA cables and cannibalized for my purpose,

we now had backup camera.

Then today I received the chime speaker which works great, I now have a working radio and still working on a few small issue. At least it is functional enough to stay in the Trax. One of the issues is it needs and update for the Navigation,

I'm riding in fields half the time and speed limits have changed. So far love the unit, it's got a large touch screen and I can even see my dashcam on the display.

I'm not saying this install is final yet but pretty close.

Got the vents from a junkyard for the bezel.

Also got the Torque APP on board diagnostic to work,

sorry no fault codes to display. lol I will update with night pictures when my camera should be able to take better pictures with less reflections.

Hope you guys like... I'm happier:D

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I loaded up a USB key with a couple Jesse Cooke albums and plugged it in the port. He never sounded so good.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Traxy you are an amazingly detailed and knowledgeable guy! These write ups and pics are great!

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You. Being a perfectionist does have it's down side but it works for me.

Reactions: ChevyTraxLS+

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah they suggested a ground strap between chassis ground and radio frame. Daughter has the Trax 1000 KMs away at the moment. Will try this next week.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wife was complaining clock was too small,

so I downloaded this one. Think it's big enough?

These are actual screenshots taken from the radio screen itself and dumped to dropbox. Just touch the little camera icon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just seeing this and wanting to do the same to my 2015 trax as I would love android auto.
Any advice? I'm super new to this and want to make sure I get it right.

The device you bought says it's no longer available, would you recommend anything specific?

Thanks for such a detailed post.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Other sellers sell similar radios. The only thing is do you have enough patience with the 12 hour offset and their chinglish. I took a chance and it took 2 months to iron out the bugs and misunderstandings but now after the last fix ( running a ground strap from the radio case to chassis ground ) everything works great and I am very happy with the outcome. Here is an other one...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ownice-C500-G10-Eight-Core-Android-8-1-Car-radio-player-For-Chevrolet-Trax-2014-2015/32904536240.html?spm=2114.search0604.3.32.8c117d7ceE4HSX&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_10065_10068_10130_10547_10059_10884_10548_10887_10696_100031_10084_10083_10103_451_10618_452_10139_10307,searchweb201603_54,ppcSwitch_7&algo_expid=fff718f1-9655-4595-a42c-fd0b4fb88fac-5&algo_pvid=fff718f1-9655-4595-a42c-fd0b4fb88fac&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

Always a gamble when you buy abroad but the payoff can be very pleasing. I wouldn't go back now. Just make sure you specify right from the get go the Year-make-model of your Trax, which radio you presently have installed and if you have the time to take your radio apart, take a picture of the connectors. Also tell them of the options like back-up camera if you have it so they can supply you with the proper harnesses .

Reactions: rixonline

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks so much for your super quick and helpful response!

I just took a new job and the commute is feeling long, I think the effort put in to get this radio updated would be absolutely worth it, just very nervous about breaking something.

I think we may have the same model car too, I'm in a 2016 Trax LS
So here's hoping I can get something similar sorted.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Post 10 says you have a 2015, do you have 2 Trax'?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No I totally messed up lol.

I bought mine in 2017 and it was an end of line floor model 2016
Had to log in and double check!it's a 2016 LS Trax in blue!

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you must have bought it in 2016 then if it was a year end since the 2016 came out in late 2015. Am I confusing you lol?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So you must have bought it in 2016 then if it was a year end since the 2016 came out in late 2015. Am I confusing you lol?
ha, yes!

it's a 2016, I double checked the paperwork last night,
got it April 2017

They were selling the 2017 and had 2 2016 models left in the showroom at my local dealership, it had 12 miles on the clock and had been kept inside the showroom so I went for it.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you find an Android infotainment unit yet?

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well today I discovered an APP in my Dasaita radio that calculates fuel economy via Torque Pro. Don't ask me how because I haven't figured that one yet but on a short trial run it was pretty accurate. I reset the vehicle average meter, which we all no always reads in favor of GM, then took it out for a spin. There was .2 liter/100Kms difference between the vehicle calculate average and this APP's calculation. The vehicle's average was better of course. The vehicle read 7.6l/100kms

The 12.4 is climbing Steeves Mountain on the way to Lutz Mountain where I live 3.1 is coming down the hill. First 5 bars are each minute of the last 5 minutes and so on. I'm really impressed as to how precise it is. Now I can't wait to take it on a long trip just to see.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts