Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have recently got a burning oil smell like a leak on the exhaust manifold smell not a tailpipe exhaust oil burning does that make sense? I had recently went to oil changing place and it seem it started after that but i couldn't make the connection with an examination of the exhaust manifold. I am perplexed and worried about engine failure due to loss of oil. Any idea thank.

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
If it started after an oil change, they probably spilled oil when filling it back up. This oil is now making it's way down to the exhaust manifold. Check for little pools of oil on the engine and wipe what you can. It will eventually all burn off. Check the oil if it remains topped off you're good. If it still does it after 2 or 3 days then you may have an actual small leak.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i had thought about that first but i didn't want to go threw the oil feed line thing if they had not fixed it by 2016 but i couldn't see any splattering of oil it's too clean.

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
I just had my 2016 do what you're talking about. It may have to do with short runs and cold temperatures since it didn't really smell like burning oil only. There seems to be something else mixed in like acetone or similar. It may be coming from the poorly designed PCV system on these engines. I believe frost gets in the positive crankcase valves and somehow renders these inefficient or inoperative at all. There is a GM bulletin where they insert a heater or heaters to the PCV system to prevent this but only to people who complain about this. For me as long as I know my vehicle isn't leaking oil I'm good and not worried about it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks but i believe i have leak i checked oil today and it would not read on the dipstick let's just say i am quite a state of WTF and hoping no damage has happened to my engine.The oil change place is getting another visit from tomorrow.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i have had it with this stupid **** either the oil change place is lying to me or the F*%king Trax is messed up and i like driving it bur it is becoming a royal pain in my arse wishing i could trade it off for another car from that F place thinking and Edge. Hmmmmm thinking real hard about it.

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
Don't. Just keep the oil filled to the mark and never go to a jiffy lube place.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never gone to Jiffy lube but the place i had been going to i have been since 2006 with my new malibu when i first bought it and never had a problem out of all the vehicles i have had done which is like 6 now. I thought since GM in their worldly wisdom are dropping most of their car lines what a dumbass idea. I was thinking Ford lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
Ford
"F"ound "O"n "R"oad "D"ead
"F"ix "O"r "R"epair "D"aily
"F"ucken "O"ld "R"estored "D"odge
"F"rankly "O"pen "R"ecall "D"ay

Once you find what the new guy at that shop did wrong you'll be all good. Maybe he cross threaded the drain plug, maybe he spilled too much oil, maybe he didn't fill it as recommended who knows, but you can't trade in your Trax because of somebodies mistake. Bring it to the dealer if you have too to get everything checked out. The cost would be a lot less than the hit you'd take on a trade in.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah not gonna hold breath either way would surely die. You forgot f&*king old rebuilt Datsun. Time will tell....if it's the oil change place fault they will get the bill.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's my luck it would involve the turbo and when the engine ran low on oil but no low pressure dumby light is damaged.......new engine and it will get parked if i am told i am responsible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mackman. So... just to confirm... the smell inside the cabin is due to a problem with the turbo? Is it low oil? I have a burning smell too and I have been trying to figure out for months what it is. It is NOT leaking oil (at least nothing I can see above OR below the car) the oil level remains constant.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes mine unfortunately was because of also i had a leak from the oil drain plug leaking out most of my oil and the turbo bearing failure was letting oil into the combustion chamber and the exhaust. Your problem might be a little more of a closer look from a good mechanic i had to go to the dealership and they did a turbo ingestion test and low and behold bad turbo tho it worked fine but it was letting it burn oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts