Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I physically installed my wireless dash cam. It is practically invisible unless you know what to look for.

It is designed to straddle the mirror, but you know how our mirrors have a big cover behind it.

First I removed the 2 covers, then installed the camera in place. ( Not wired yet, missing a connector )

Then needed to trim the 2 covers so they would fit snug against the camera.

One slice at a time.

Until I had an almost perfect fitting cover, then I had to match the other side.

15 minutes later matching covers.

Re-Installed mirror

You can barely see it from outside.

I'll put up pictures and a video later when I get that Mini USB connector.

Looks factory enough. Camera is almost the exact same color as the covers.

Reactions: Kidbyte

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Today I wired-up my dash cam. I found an alternate way around that connector I thought I would need.

Used the power that goes to the OnStar rearview mirror to power up my camera, this way I didn't need to run a wire from the fuse block through the ''A'' pillar and under the headliner.

Pin A5 is ground and A4 is keypad supply voltage, this is a regulated 10 Volt source that is only there when the engine is running so perfect for my needs since I only want to record when engine is running. Camera turns on automatically and starts recording when it sees power.

Started by pulling off the mirror and identifying the 2 wires, black for ground and orange for keypad supply.

But since the camera needs mini USB 5 Volt I had to add a step down USB module.

Added nail polish to solder to reduce the chance of corrosion.

Then re-installed the mirror with a short ( 8'' ) USB to mini USB adaptor cable to the camera

Turn key to on and it works!!! Wow first try. USB LED is ''ON''.

And camera LED is also ''ON''

Proof is in the pudding:

Video to follow so you can see the quality.

My computer monitor is only 720P so I can't tell if 1080P is better quality or not lol but I assume since the files are much larger that the video will be better anyway here's a video from the camera at 720P. See if you can see when that grey squirrel crosses the road... Hint between 10:24;40 and 10:24;50.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update:

Encountered a problem 2 minutes in the run. Couldn't figure it out at first and started looking for clues.
The symptoms were the OnStar LED would turn red, then I would get a TPMS malfunction where the icon would flash in the DIC. I knew these were related to my install but why. Then clue #2 when it happened twice after 2 minutes from starting the vehicle. Since I was recording 2 minute videos I wondered if it was related to when the camera started a new file so I changed the file length to 5 minutes and went for a drive. The first file transition @ 5 minutes went through flawlessly making me believe that I may be wrong here or maybe it only caused a problem with 2 minute videos. So kept on driving and at the second switch of files after 10 minutes the OnStar LED turned red again pretty much confirming that this was caused by the camera on file transition. It must have sent some kind of transient back on the keypad supply voltage to make the communication module lose contact with the OnStar mirror keypad.

First try at resolving this was adding a 1000ɥf capacitor to the OnStar keypad supply. This failed completely killing the USB output for some reason I don't understand yet. Next attempt was a 47ɥf which seemed to stabilize the input voltage but caused the OnStar LED to sometimes not turn green on start-up. So I then dropped the capacitor value to 2.2 ɥf which worked as far as the OnStar LED went but I would still get the occasional red OnStar LED come on and camera would shut down.

Then I added a 47ɥf capacitor to the USB 5.1 volt output hoping this would solve the issue. Well I drove with this vehicle several times since even drove about 45 kilometers one trip and so far no issues. Keeping my fingers cross because the alternate solution is running and ignition voltage up the ''A'' pillar an under the headliner which I would like to avoid.

If this interest you, stay tuned, I will report back if this solution fails down the road.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okay, the symptoms came back to the point where the camera would shut off.

Here's what I hope my solution will be. Several weeks ago after it failed since my last post I ordered a delayed on relay module and I received it this morning.

Since the voltage from the OnStar keypad is only 10 volts regulated and has a sense resistor it was causing all sorts of little issues including shutting ''OFF'' camera which kinda defeats the purpose. So instead of using this voltage to turn on the camera I use it to switch a delay relay module that supplies battery voltage to a USB voltage module that supplies 5.1 Volts to the camera. Well I needed battery voltage to go to the mirror and didn't want to run a long wire from the fuse block up the ''A'' pillar under the roof panel.

So I stole B+ from the dome light and ran an 8'' wire from the switch to the mirror area.

Red wire you see dangling here.

I set the delay on the relay module to 3 seconds, this gives ample time for everything to stabilize after start-up. After 3 seconds it applies voltage to the camera.

Glued the module to the inside of the cover so it wouldn't rattle around.

I did a few test and so far it seems to run A-1, OnStar light doesn't blink anymore.

Oh! coincidentally the TPMS light coming ''ON'' was an actual bad TPMS in the passenger front wheel, through me for a loop until I put my winter tires on and that problem disappeared.

Now when I turn the ignition ''ON'' 3 seconds later I hear the camera turn ''ON''. I love it when second plan comes together.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Just did an 80 Kms run without a hitch. I think we have winner. Now to do the same to the Encore.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're welcome, it's been working flawlessly since september.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This morning at sunrise is the first time I really notice the camera. It's nicely visible with the sun pointing right at it.

It's still works good although I have switch the recording files from 1080P to AVI for more storage.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just realized I should have listed the parts I used sorry!

Source for delayed "ON" relay module. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/12V-DC-Dela...-New-/111983136980?hash=item1a12b710d4&_uhb=1
Unfortunately these don't come with a lot of instructions, I had to google and tinker with it to figure out how to set it for delay"ON" and time it for 3 seconds. Because you can also set these for delay "OFF'' and different time period. Jumper in position "S7" sets the module to delay "ON". Jumper in "S6" sets it to delay "OFF"

For my purpose and need I set it as per the first line with jumper "S4" in to get 1.5 second to 14.5 seconds:

Source for 12V to 5.1V USB module. https://www.banggood.com/DC-DC-Buck...-1103973.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=USA

Source for short USB 2.0 Type A Male to Mini USB B Male 5 pin Angled 90 Degree Data Cable:
https://www.banggood.com/USB-2_0-Ty...p-1041651.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have edited and modified my previous post to reflect some questions PMed. If you have any questions feel free to ask in this forum so others can benefit, I will be happy to help! I will keep editing post #11 with additional info until satisfied.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Traxy, you are so detailed and descriptive in your posts. Very grateful for your knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Camera captures idiots like this. I have my blinker on ready to turn left, notice how long the line is solid.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
2 more

200+ and I can't even identify what the car is....

Then a close call...ABS brakes full on...You can hear in the background the ABS coming on...

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
For those of you that may find the delay relay I chose to be too complicated I found a real simple one where you just connect ignition voltage and tweak the pot for delay of 1.5 to 5 seconds. Then you just need to connect open contacts for B+. Ordered this one for my Encore installation.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NE5...32864623016.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.XzzND5

You may need to flush cut the leads to get it to fit but it should fit.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, today I purchased the camera listed above, I will make a step by step of the install in my Buick Encore. This one should be simpler and easier and a quicker install since it's pretty much the same as the TRAX. I will do the first plunge on this particular camera for those who want a dashcam but are hesitant.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some people don't value their lives...

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update : Turns out my TPMS going bezirk is caused by the camera emitting RFI at the RKE frequency. More work and study is going to be needed as to why the TPMS module loses programming when camera is "ON" and this is random. It can work perfectly for weeks and all of a sudden quit 3 or 4 times in a row. I will know more when I install the same system in the Buick but right now I'm thinking RFI so close to the RKE module glued to the roof liner above the driver.

I will have to shield the RKE or get a different camera.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts