Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

I purchased my 2017 Trax in Summit White this summer from my local dealership. Unfortunately I'm currently dealing with problems that I don't know what the cause could be.

1) Exhaust smell in cabin: We recently had a cold snap (like around -40C) and I started to smell strong exhaust fumes inside my vehicle when I climbed into it in the morning. I had it running for 10 minutes to warm it up before starting on my way.

2) Film on inside of windows: First I thought it was a fog, but after wiping it off it almost has a greasy/oily texture if that makes sense? Defrost does not take care of it. I've already had a leaky coolant reservoir fixed as well as a leaky oil pan replaced.

Do you think that the exhaust issues could be tied in to whatever is causing the film on the inside of the windows?

My previous vehicle was a 2006 Pontiac Vibe and that thing was a workhorse...hardly had any issues the whole time I owned it so all these issues popping up with a new vehicle is kind of frustrating!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greasy film on the inside could still be related to a coolant leak - had that issue with an old Ford Grenada. Maybe the smell is really coolant related and not exhaust?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There's a bulletin on this problem at cold temperatures. Not all have this problem. Mine did once but I never had the issue again. It has to do with the PVC system that freezes up. My daughter had the bulletin done on her 2016 and she hasn't had the problem since. They add a heater inside the valve cover to stop the condensation from freezing and blocking the PVC system. Check your oil level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts