Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and the wife are coming home from town this morning and went to pass a car going up a hill, after we get past them the check engine light flashes then goes away. Then we notice if you try to accelerate then it starts jarring and doesn't really wanna go. I have disconnected the battery and letting it sit as a desperate attempt to reset everything and hope for the best. What could it be? Please help!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is there a code showing on the instrument panel? In the lower right corner it should display "Code" and a number. If not you need to have it checked with a scan tool.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If you have a problem with the way the engine or transmission works, you should not try to erase the code, you do need a scanner to get the numeric code.
That code tells the dealer where to start looking more times than one it will pin point the problem.

Most auto part stores will scan the car for you free of charge, while you can't really do anything with the code, at least you know in what system the problem is located.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I definitely wouldn't have erased the code without checking it out first. Even if it was just a hiccup, it's good to keep track of these things. Anyhow, now that you cleared it, how is it running?

·
Registered
772 Posts
You can't really erase the codes completely, with an ordinary hand held reader, they are stored in the computer, after they are read the first time they have an H prefix, telling the service reader they are old codes.

I do believe if you use a GM Tech II reader, with capability of erasing old codes, then they can be eliminated from the computer after the repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had these exact same symptoms today with my 2016 Trax. Have an appointment with the dealership on Monday, but curious if you had any resolution?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to comment I had a very similar issue with my 2016 trax (49k miles) and this forum helped to narrow down the potential causes. It took 2 different mechanics and 3 days to figure out (1st guy was kind of lazy and said I just needed to be on top of my oil changes).

Trying to accelerate on an on-ramp or up a hill from anywhere from 40 mph to 60 mph would cause the car to struggle nyo go and randomly shudder and move herky-jerky and honestly scared the crap out me. The 2nd mechanic was actually able to see the ignition coil short out so have to replace that and spark plugs. Not super cheap but glad I know the cause.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts