Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had out Trax for about 3 months now and we have noticed an issue with the Key FOB's when you are trying unlock the car / lock the car we get a message on the dashboard stating that it is not able to locate the Key FOB. We sometimes can not even open the trunk even when the key fob is on your person. My wife and I have both had it happen to us on both instances. I am curious is there anyone else having these same issues or know what could be causing it? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Interference close to 315MHz. In my case it's a radio fm transmitter 100 yards away from where I park my Trax. This transmitter transmits at 105.1MHz which is very close to the 3rd harmonic of 315. Close enough to jam my key FOB. Any where else it is pretty much fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interference close to 315MHz. In my case it's a radio fm transmitter 100 yards away from where I park my Trax. This transmitter transmits at 105.1MHz which is very close to the 3rd harmonic of 315. Close enough to jam my key FOB. Any where else it is pretty much fine.
Our does it all over the place even at my Wife's work. It happend to me at the gas station. I do not know if this is a common, but we still suspect something is crazy wrong with outs and I even replaced the batteries in the FOB's. Thank you Traxy! Very helpful member.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
You probably need a new communication module. They have been known to go bad especially on the Envision. 2017 up have the same module.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Forgot to mention, did you by any chance change the dome light to LED?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You probably need a new communication module. They have been known to go bad especially on the Envision. 2017 up have the same module.
Well that sucks. Do you happen to know why they go bad? This car is 1.5 years old. We plan on keeping it long term so this is something we do not like to hear, but thank you for your feedback.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Should be under warranty

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So we got a call from the dealer and they stated they could not find anything wrong at all with the FOB or the locks. Any ideas what I should look for when I get the car back? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
One 2017 owner on here had water leak into the spare tire compartment. I believe yours also has the module under the cargo floor. The bottom of his module had corroded and malfunctioned intermittently. He changed the module and all's good. His warranty was up. I tried to find the thread but couldn't. Maybe it was on the Encore forum but it would be the same. The 2016 is different, module is beside the dome light between roof and headliner.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One 2017 owner on here had water leak into the spare tire compartment. I believe yours also has the module under the cargo floor. The bottom of his module had corroded and malfunctioned intermittently. He changed the module and all's good. His warranty was up. I tried to find the thread but couldn't. Maybe it was on the Encore forum but it would be the same. The 2016 is different, module is beside the dome light between roof and headliner.
Very interesting. I will check it out tomorrow after the wife comes home from work. I feel like the Stealership just wants to give me the run around. Where would the leak come from so I can check that too? Thanks Traxy! Much appreciated on the advise. You have been a huge help.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Mostly from people opening the hatch after it picked-up road slim and salt and having the stuff slide down the back hatch once it's up and fall through the crack. then it melts and finds it way to the spare tire area somehow. Then it evaporates salt residue lands on the module I guess. He showed pictures of his module and it looked like the bottom half inch had been laying in acid. I'm going to keep trying to find that thread and I will reference it here if I can find it. 2017 and up have the module in the rear hatch area.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mostly from people opening the hatch after it picked-up road slim and salt and having the stuff slide down the back hatch once it's up and fall through the crack. then it melts and finds it way to the spare tire area somehow. Then it evaporates salt residue lands on the module I guess. He showed pictures of his module and it looked like the bottom half inch had been laying in acid. I'm going to keep trying to find that thread and I will reference it here if I can find it. 2017 and up have the module in the rear hatch area.
I would appreciate it. It looks to be located under the spare tire foam on the left side. Is that correct? I am going to look at it this weekend since the wife does not get home until after dark. Thank you like always!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would appreciate it. It looks to be located under the spare tire foam on the left side. Is that correct? I am going to look at it this weekend since the wife does not get home until after dark. Thank you like always!
Well I looked at the back and it is dry as a bone. I am just going to roll with it and see what happens. Thank you Traxy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts