Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Northern BC, Canada and own a 2017 Trax with a transponder key (I am the second owner).

I only use remote-start in the winters, but it has not turned over all winter and I cannot afford to have it fixed or replaced. My Trax did not come with an engine block heater, so I have been starting my Trax every morning to warm it up. It's currently -32C and I tried unlocking the car with the remote, but it didn't unlock. I tried using the key in the door, but that didn't unlock it either. Even if this was a dead battery issue, I can't get into my Trax to pop the hood.

Is there a simple fix that I'm missing? Or am I doomed to pay an outrageous amount for the dealership to tow and look at it?

Thanks in advance 馃槉

Super Moderator
The door lock in the driver's door is purely mechanical when opened with the key. Turn the key counterclockwise to unlock. If your lock is frozen get some lock deicer and spray some in or get a hair dryer an warm up the lock. Sometimes just putting the palm of your hand over it for 30 seconds will be enough to thaw it out.

Reactions: terratone and Kass

Registered
Do not try hot water as it may freeze more. Try to blow hot air such as hair dryer if lock is frozen. Usually when that happens to me, I put the key in and wiggle it usually works. I had an impala that wouldn't unlock via remote and key hole was bad so I just would unlock on of the back doors before exiting the car and locking driver door by hand. Car wasn't worth fixing, cannot be stolen without chip key and had nothing of value in it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the suggestions! As predicted, the lock was frozen. However, after unfreezing the lock, they key just kept going round-and-round without unlocking the Trax. It did that for a few days and then it magically fixed itself 馃し鈥嶁檧锔 the battery was dead, but I purchased a booster and got it going again! 馃槉

Super Moderator
It did not fix itself. It completed thawing. lol Locks in the winter can be a pain. I always carry a little torch with me especially when I go to the community mail boxes, those suckers are always frozen.

Registered
It did not fix itself. It completed thawing. lol Locks in the winter can be a pain. I always carry a little torch with me especially when I go to the community mail boxes, those suckers are always frozen.
Are you saying one of those little lighter torches? If so, thats a great idea but i would watch the paint.

Super Moderator
Not a torch near paint, heat gun is preferable. I use the torch on padlocks and my mailbox. I have one of those called elephant candle torch which I like to use and it fits nicely in my pocket.

Reactions: terratone
1 - 7 of 7 Posts